How do I go about this potty training for a boy?

I am a 23 yr old single mother. My son is 20 months old. When his diaper is wet he pulls it off, unless he has pants on. I don't know how to even begin the potty training process. HELP PLEASE lol. I know that I want to use the sit down method as to not confuse him but that is all i know about this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 5:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you want i can email you the ebook i used and sumone from cafemom gave it to me and it worked. i have a son and hes 3 it took 4days to potty train him and its been greta since..well there are those lil accidents.Just pm if you want.
    tripper1305

Answer by tripper1305 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Start by getting him a baby potty. Let him sit on it with his clothes on and get comfortable around it. Let him sit on it when you're sitting on the potty (an open door policy helps immensely!) For my son, we let him run around naked outside, but it was spring/summer and warm enough for that. We told him to shoot his pee gun, and he could on command. So later he was able to shoot his pee gun in his baby potty at will. You'll have to take him pee every hour or so, to get him used to going to the bathroom. Sometimes at the learning phase they realize they have to pee a little late! Number 2 is a little more difficult, we're still dealing with that. So far, the only thing that has worked is him seeing his big sis take a crap and see it in the potty (sorry gross!) and then he got on and crapped too! Good luck, and don't stress too much about it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• use "target" practice. use cheerios or the paper targets to go in the potty. my MIL says to add bubble mix to the potty and teach him to "make" bubbles.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Wow I thought I was the only 1 having this problem, I cannot help you out b/c I cant find anything that works, my son pees all over everything but the POTTY! If you get any helpful advice please send it my way!!!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 7:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• When I started potty training my little boy I went out and bought him a royal potty, it sings to him whenever he pottys in it. And then he has slowly transitioned into the big potty. He pulls his diaper off when he needs to potty, or after he pottys. When you get the potty, put it in a place that he is comfortable with, and then slowly move the potty closer and closer to the bathroom. I also bought this potty training kit they sold at wal mart, that had a doll, a toilet, a sink, and a bracelet that would tell him when it was potty time. I would take him every 20 minutes, and he eventually just learned that when he has to go potty he comes and grabs my hand and runs to the bathroom screaming "pee mommy pee" or "poo", which ever one he has to do. The huggies pull ups with the cool alert help put a lot too! that way he knows when he has went and what the feeling is like when he went and knows when he has to go.
    mommabrat787

Answer by mommabrat787 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I waited to potty train until my sons were dry at night- for each it was about 3. Then on one weekend we concentrated on training. Every half hour all day long I took him to the potty. By the end of the weekend he was trained. I think we went through 4 pairs of training pants the following Monday. By Tuesday it was only one pair. After that only the rare accidents.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• listen to me on this, it's just awesome. TRY IT!!!! Go out a buy a potty ring to put on the big potty instead of the baby pottys. Forget the little individual ones. The rings are like 10 dollars, in with the potty training stuff. Anyways, my two year old LOVES it! He loves watching the real water flush and he can see everything thats going on. He even pushes "it" down so he doesnt pee on the floor. He'll pull his step stool over, put the ring on and get on. Then we go to the sink and he takes the step stool over... Even girls can do it this way. Also, when he does go.... make a huge deal out of it, show him how happy you are!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008