When you take your kids swimming do you use the family changingrooms?

Hi moms

I was swimming with my children(2 boys 4 and 8) the other day and couldnt help but notice the amount of people that used the family cubicles. When we go i always get my boys ready first and then they will wait outside the cubicle while i put on my swimsuit. It does take up abit of time and i was thinking of following the trend. To be honest it would be alot easier but is it ok to change into my swimsuit infront of my boys. What do other moms do?

Claire.d

Asked by Claire.d at 6:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I change into my swimsuit in front of my kids, I've got no real issue with it... There's ways to be modest about it obviously too, baring all isn't an issue, it's easier to be honest and a lot quicker! And you can keep an eye on your kids while you're getting ready, it just adds peace of mind for me.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My son is 6 so I do not change in front of him anymore. I did up until he was about 4 and half or so. Once he was noticing the differences between boys and girls and women and young girls. I do it just as you do now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I just go there in my bathing suit. I sit on a towel on the way home. I don't change there. I still change in front of my 5 year old, but that will probably stop soon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• That is not an option at our pool, so we all use the womens. Or DD and I use womens, and when we are done let DS go in men's.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We always get ready at home. When we are done swimming I take my GS in with me and my GD if DH isn't there. I just have the other turn around as needed. The bigger the issue you make out of it the bigger the issue becomes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If my son & I go swimming just the 2 of us, we do use the family changing room. I'm just not comfortable sending him in to the men's changing room alone just yet. I have no problem changing in front of him and he doesn't find it weird. My husband & I have tried to teach him appropriate modesty without making him ashamed of his body.

We also have a few relatives in Europe & attitudes are quite different than in the US.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We do not use a family changing room. The primary reason is that one of my girls has had extensive sexual abuse history prior to her coming into our lives. My younger ones come in with me but to help build boundary lessons that my 9 yr old wasn't taught early in life, we're extra cautious now.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• The family changing rooms here have two separate rooms within them and also a shower. VERY handy for me being a single mom with a young son.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011