Should the n* word be removed from "Huckleberry Finn"?

saw on the news tonight that they are considering removing it from the school version of Huck Finn. While my first reaction was "no--they're going to mess with a classic" ---it made me think of something deeper. If the n* word is removed from all *old* literature, then how will our students know that the racism that we talk about in history was REAL? Do you think that literature should be left intact and discussed in the timeframe in which it was written? or do you think any reference using racist, sexist or otherwise offensive language should be removed and erased? I don't have an opinion ---since I'm not black, I can't presume to answer. I'd like opinions --from an educational standpoint (not racially charged).

charlottej

Asked by charlottej at 6:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in

• No, it is history
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. If they are old enough to read it, then they are old enough to understand that it is part of an historical fiction and should be able to discern the acceptability of the usage of the term in modern times.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No. There are plenty of abridged copies that do not use the word. The original should be left as it. It is a period piece and it depicts America during that time period... As much as we would like to, we can't change history.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, they should leave it in it's original text.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Is should be left as is. When I think my kids are old enough to read it I will most definitely be handing them a copy.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It should be left as it was written. It is a classic and a valuable work of historical fiction.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This work was written in a time when the word was commonly used. If a student is to read the work for what it is and to understand all aspects of the time period, the word--no matter how objectionable it is--should be left in.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• it should be left it. let me explain why. because its not just part of our history but its just part of the story. its fiction. and when a student is old enough to read it its because its been discussed before in class. that is what i think about it. its like taking our sexism out of other books. i can;t think of any one in particular but there are plenty. its part of history and the times and how we have come and grown.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It's a shame that people want to go in and change things because they don't like it. Isn't everyone allowed to have an opinion and decide if they do or don't want to see/read something? Why should it come down to some crazy people to make those decisions? I don't understand why this should even be considered an option. If you don't want students or your children to read this or anything else that you feel offends you, then don't let them. But don't deny them that chance to learn about our history.

Basically my answer is no. =0)
    twinklegura0503

Answer by twinklegura0503 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011