how do you handle this?

so we are at the hair salon and a heavy set women comes in to the salon and my 4 yo says mommy i think shes to fat to fit in the chair i dont know if she heard him or not but what would you do? i told him thats its not nice to talk about people but i dont think he is old enough to grasp that concept

momofalltrades

Asked by momofalltrades at 7:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he's old enough to understand. You did good on not telling him to say such things
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh boy, children and their honesty, they have NO filter. Just constantly reaffirm what you told him, it will sink in, I promise :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He is old enough to know that things people say can hurt his feelings. Just show him how that works both ways. You did good.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• child are parrots they copy what they have heard you might want to figure out who his is playing with kids are not born prefudgemental they learn it.
    dynameteduck

Answer by dynameteduck at 7:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• When my youngest pointed out that a friend of the family was fat I replied 'yes, but she already knows that, so you don't need to tell her.'

That was the answer to lots of things...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He is old enough to explain.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

AGREED
    Anonymous

• I think you were right in what you did. If this was his first encounter with a larger person, then your right he probably doesn't know that what he said is hurtful. You did the right thing in telling him not to talk about other people like that.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I take time in everyday situations like on tv or in books, to point out how all people are different in alot of ways, and point out examples. Then stress that its ok to be different.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• well ive been there and it sucks but i just told my child thats not nice and if i know the person heard i made her go say sorry
    harliesmommy09

Answer by harliesmommy09 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 8, 2011