How big of a yard should a medium-large size dog have?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 7:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Dogs don't need yards, they need attention, exercise and care. If you are able to take the dog for 2 or 3 long walks every day, and make time to go 'dog fishing' so he can run around and exercise without needing much space, you can have a greyhound or a bull mastiff in an apartment.

If you think you can have a dog unattended in a yard by itself for days on end, you should get a cat. Or a poster.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• The future potential dog would receive plenty of attention and care, I'm just looking for what size yard is ideal for down time.
    sojourner.

Comment by sojourner. (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• A half acre to an acre. Something to where they can run around in, play catch, and that nature.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:41 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• and as earlier poster said---'2-3 long walks a day'------------ is NOT necessary, if that were true No one would have med-large dog cause between 3 long walks a day adn all the other attention, brushing, feeding, playing there wouldnt be enough hours in day left.
    One walk a day would suffice as long as you are playing with and resting/petting with, brush him, toss/throw,.......I cannot walk my companion everyday due to my health but he does go a few times a week and sometimes it is daily depending on my health, sometimes he tries to get me to play tugOwar, toss/throw instead of walking too but when I can walk we walk -first, he wrestles with my kids-big and LO--, healthy even though we moved from a large house/yard to an apt., as long as he is getting exercise, love, attention he is happy to do whatever we do and he just learned to open my door to hallway, can do sliding doors already, starting ot turn lights on/off, very hap
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Size of yard is irrelevant if no one is outside playing or interacting with the dog. Putting a dog out into a big yard doesn't not actually equal exercise. It is time for potty and whatever else it feels like (barking, digging, chewing sticks, napping), usually not running around and playing.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We have a medium-sized dog and we have about 1 acre fenced-in. He and our other (small) dog have plenty of room to run arond chasing each other. They are inside dogs, but spend about 2 hours total (go out to potty about every 3 hours and stay outside for about 30-45 minutes) outside when it is nice.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• we have a large dog and we have 1/4 acre in the burbs of a large city. we play outside,got for 2 walks a day and play inside as well. my dog is very happy in her environment. i think some yard is good but not necessary for a huge yard. love,attention and socialization are good things. best of luck
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011