Handmedowns....?

If someone gives a person baby clothes... and then that person turns around after using them and tries to get money for them... Do you think that is a bad friend? My mom is telling me since she didn't buy them, and she used them... then I shouldn't have to pay for them... She says she is using me and I am too nice... Just wanted to see others opinions.

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Once you give someone something, its theirs. You can't tell someone what to do with something just because it used to belong to you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• When you give anybody anything it is theres. It is there right to do whatever they want with it. Period.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Once you give something to someone, the item is theirs to do with as they wish. Would it be nicer if she gave them to you for free?—yes, of course, but they are her things, not anyone else's.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree. If you gave them to them, they can do what ever they want with them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would be the perfect person to anwer this...I gave bags of clothes both used and new to a co worker when my child was a baby..I later found out that she took the clothes to a consignment shop...Talk about being pissed....I gave them to her to help her..If I knew she was going to sell them I could have given them to a shelter (people who could have used them)...I agree with your mother, someone help her by giving them to her, obviously she doesnt have the same given soul...DONT BUY THEM...Listen to your mother...You may also want to rethink this "friendship"
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it's super-duper tacky of her to try & sell them back to you when you gave them to her in the first place. If she is just trying to sell them to anybody, whatever, they are hers now & she can do that if she wants to. But, if she is trying to sell them back to you, then i think that is disgustingly tacky.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree with Sam. If she is trying to sell them back to you, i would really reconsider our friendship. She is taking advantage of you for sure...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Is she trying to sell it back to you??? If so that is just morally wrong. However it is her choice. Unfortunatly
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think that it is really tacky of her. I have gotten TONS of hand me downs from my sister and I wouldn't ever sell them to anyone else. When I finally am done with them I will most likely hand them down to my other sister if there is any life left in them but I won't be selling them!

Is it her right? Yeah I guess if you are the type of person who doesn't care about how moral or tacky something is.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If you give it to her, then it's hers. I sure wouldn't buy them from her though. :(
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011