How do I help my 6 yr old son? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

He is a sweet boy sometimes and a misbehaving wild boy the rest of the time.... He is one of those where I have to keep on him constantly or he gets way out of hand... Well I slacked off for awhile due to the fact of a new baby and feeling sorry for the attention he wasn't getting.... He is the type of boy that needs 100% attention or he is not happy! Well that is impossible. He has been getting in trouble A LOT lately because he is getting soo out of hand with his mouth being mean and arguing ALL THE TIME.. Tonight we had a really good night rented a movie had pizza it was a good time then we said it was shower time and he threw a huge fit crying and yelling he wants to watch a cartoon and not take a shower. Everytime I would try and tell him to get to the shower he would yell louder and argue more untill I exploded and screamed at him to get in the shower with a swat on the butt as he was walking by... Then he started crying in the shower saying he isn't happy with life and he is so frusterated because he gets into trouble all the time and he never has any fun at home. He doesn't have fun at school because he is frusterated about how he acts at home, he wishes he was never born.... This just CRUSHED me I had to fight back tears soo hard. I don't want my son to feel like this, I do try to spend time with him but no amout of time I do spend with him is enough.... I don't know what to do he is only 6 and shouldn't even have any of these feelings to have to deal with.. He has always been more mature for his age so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.... what do I do?/ I want my son back!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• talk to his Doctor he may have ADHD or ODD don't know but you should really talk to his doctor and teacher
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If this all started with the new baby then Id write it up to mind games. He is 6 and is smart. He know by now the buttons to press. I would start by setting aside one on one time with him and see how he responds. If you really feel that he has anger/jealousy issues then Id talk the the ped about poss counseling. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't have the answer but I do have experience. My dd has doing much of the same thing with me. She is 9. I finally went to the counselor at her school yesterday. It was hard, you never want to think anything is wrong with you or your child. I broke down with the counselor I explained everything that is happening with dd at home. He is going to check in with her and talk to her. He will get her involved with some classes about anger that are age appropriate. I cling to the great moments and cry about the others. Parenting is the hardest job in the world. It tests us on every level. I had to step out of my comfort zone to speak with someone about something very personal. The health and well being of my children come first above anything and anybody else. Including me. Good luck to you. Remember you are a great mother with great concern for your child.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Doc has already said he dosn't have ADHD I don't know what ODD is.... I do know he has a mild case of OCD by the way he acts....

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Personally, I would get a second opinion and I would find a good child psychologist to do a full evaluation. It sounds like more than typical attention seeking behavior because you are really trying to consider him in this time with the new baby. And he sounds like he is equally frustrated by his behavior. It could be better and easier, get an evaluation right away and at the very least, both of you will receive some better strategies for handling these situations so you can have your happy and healthy boy back I hope!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2011