Anyone ever had a doctor REFUSE to put them on Progestrone supplements when they had low progestrone?

My blood work was tested a few days ago and I had a progesterone level of less than 4. The paper work they gave me said it should be 11.9 or more. I went to the doctor to talk about getting a progesterone supplement and the doctor said that using progesterone for low progesterone levels in early pregnancy is controversial and that she does not give progesterone for that reason.

Is this normal for a doctor to do this?

Should I change doctors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well if you're pregnant he may be saying no because it may be bad for the baby, ever think of that? They usually give you a reason why they say no. Ask next time.
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 8:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've done LOADS of research about this and it's routinely used in pregnancy. Most of the women on the Pregnancy board who've had low progestrone were given either a pill or a vaginal capsule right away.

The only side effects I can really find are that it can make morning sickness worse which I don't care about. Also I've read that low progestrone can be bad for the baby.

Why in the hell are you so rude to people BTB? Holy crap! GET OVER YOURSELF! You obviously don't belong in this section!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There are three basic schools of thought:

1. It does nothing so it's not worth prescribing.
    2. It does nothing, but it doesn't hurt either so prescribe it so the woman can feel like she's doing something to help.
    3. It can help so prescribe it.

There is no concrete proof for either theory(help vs. not help). There's research that backs both ideas, and research that proves both ideas are false.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 8:42 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'd find a new doctor. I had an awful time keeping pregnancies, long story short my OB actually prescribed them for me this last time with borderline levels because he knew it helped me (at least I believed it did) in the past, and there is no evidence of harm to the baby.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have had two family members who miscarried because of low levels. One of them miscarried twice, then was giving a supplement the third time and carried full term, and now has three kids, with a supplement each time. The other family member has never been able to get pregnant again, so I would defiantly ask another Dr.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 9:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I was immediately put on progesterone suppositories when my level dropped from 19 to 15 in one week. I believe that stopped me from miscarrying a third time and I believe that the reason I lost my other two pregnancies was because of this problem. My doctor consulted with a fertility specialist who prescribed the dosage for me. I would get a second opinion ASAP with a specialist. Low progesterone will cause miscarriage. I wish you the very best. And just so you know, my son was born a very healthy 8lbs 11 oz and 12 days late!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well they teach, in Medical Assisting school, that progesterone is necessary to maintain a pregnancy and not enough of it can result in miscarriage. My high risk OB/Gyn says you can never really have too much hormones (well you can, but he knows how much you need and monitors it closely). Granted he may be a bit old fashioned, but he knows his stuff. From my experiences the progesterone shots I took helped, so I would find another doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2011