Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth records...not birth certificate, question.

I am wondering if I am able to get my son's birth records, like any complications length of labor things like that. My husband was his legal father at birth but, I think my son's birth records would still be his BM's medical records, right? And those are off limits. The reason I would like to know is he is really tight in the muscles and doesn't walk like other children his age and I think he may have Cerebral Palsy or something. I have had concerns about it since he was small but, it doesn't seem to be getting better. I think maybe knowing if there were complications may help his doctor now.


Asked by matthewscandi at 8:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Adoption

Level 26 (27,814 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • The mother's records and the baby's records are separate records. As an adoptive mother, you have every right to your son's records, however anything related to the mother is strictly off limits. His record might make some mention of some things, such as APGAR score, length of labor, etc. but nothing directly related to the mother. You should be able to obtain a copy of his records by signing a release of information form at the hospital where he was born. This can also be done by mail or other means, if that facility is not in your area. You need to start by calling the medical records (or health information management) department to see what they require. You will need a photo ID and proof that you have adopted the child.

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • If there were any should be written in his chart also.

    Answer by ashisamom at 8:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • Any complications should also be in his record.

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • I agree with the poster above. I assume you husband doesn't know the answers?

    Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • I agree with most of the other posts, that info should be in his charts and you can get that info, just not his birth mother's info. Also, if you are concerned, you should contact your family services and find out what type "early intervention" they have in your area. They can be a great asset, even without seeing his records.

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Can you request your son's records from the birth hospital?

    Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • My husband wasn't there when he was conceived or born. He was put on the BC because in LA the husband is the father whether he is bio or not. They were not married when he was born, just conceived. I know it is confusing.

    Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

  • He is 6 so, he can't do EI.

    Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011