Smoking and breastfeeding a 14 month old

I just recently started smoking and i'm feeling very torn, kellymom doesn't say much about the effects. Does anyone know more? I don't want to hurt my child, but it is very addicting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah it's bad. Nicotine is going straight into your child's body. You'd be better off to quit breastfeeding if you're going to be smoking while doing it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:44 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If breastfeeding is that important to you quit smoking. If smoking is that important to you then quit breastfeeding. Priorities.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• But if you know smokings bad for you, why would you think it's ok for nicotine to go into your baby's body? You know it's not okay.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It is very unhealthy for your child. I would choose one or the other. It would be healthier for your child if you quit breastfeeding if you choose to continue smoking.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No offense, then why are you asking us? I'm proud of you for breastfeeding this long. If you're going by what they said then why ask anyone else?? I wouldn't risk putting anything in my baby's body that's bad for myself, let alone them!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• http://www.loveyourbaby.com/breastfeeding-and-smoking.html

I would personally never smoke while breastfeeding or give anything to my child that wasn't healthy for him/her. But if you are going to do it, become educated about it. This site gives some more information and some info about what risks you are subjecting your child to by smoking.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Be proud that you breastfed this long. A lot of ppl don't even make it that long!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If you went that long without why start smoking now??? I totally get the addiction thing, I smoked off and on for over ten years before I had my son. My vote is to quit smoking! There are many other risks to your child, breastfeeding or not. I'm not trying to be judgemental or anything, as I am not perfect. Just tyring to help you make good decisions.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 9:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh also... to keep it off your baby smoke outside, wear a jacket everytime... one that you aren't around your little one in... and always wash your hands.. this will lesson any ammount of "3rd" hand smoke you pass to baby...
    k.stark

Answer by k.stark at 10:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• That's the opposite of what kellymom said
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2011