Would you be upset?

So, my best friend calls me today, like completely going off. I ask her what's wrong. Her daughter is 5 and in kindergarten. Well, she goes to pick her DD up and a child in Autie's (friends daughter) classroom is having a birthday. So, Candace (birthday girl), her mother walks in with invitations. Keep in mind, the classroom if full of 5 year olds...19 to be exact. She asks her daughter, in front of all the kids, who she wants to come to her birthday party. So, Candace picks and chooses...needless to say...7 didn't get invited. And they just cried and ask why they couldn't come. Autie being one...

Would you be mad? OMG, I would be pissed. I told my friend I'd go talk to that mother tomorrow and tell her there are ways to do something like that correctly. Like, ask the teacher to put these invitations in the folders they bring home. What a rude bitch!

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, I would be very upset. That is very hurtful to do to young kids and she should have asked her in private who she wanted to invite. Those poor kids must have been heartbroken:(
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• oh my god, would I ever be pissed!!! The teachers usualy have their own way of doing things, most would put them in the folder, not just let a parent do that. If that happened at dd's school the teacher would have told the mom off(well, in a nice way)
    Has she never had a birthday party before? sheesh some people are so rude. I would walk up to the mom and say what you were thinking, that how she went about it was rude and mean to the other kids who didnt get invited.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My question is why did the teacher allow this to happen...In my kids school if you are sending/giving out invites at the school you either have to invite the entire class, all the girls (if its a girls party) or all boys (if its for a boy)...That mother was very thoughtless..Kids are very sensitive...
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Most schools won't allow parents to send invitations like that to school for that very reason. I would be pissed if some idiot parent did that and I would be pissed at the teacher that allowed it to happen.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:53 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes that would upset me. I know some schools will not allow students to pass out invites unless everyone in the class got one and if it's a sleepover all the children of that gender had to get one. Personally I would go the the principal to implement the all or none policy.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes this would make me mad! Our school policy is to give each child an invitation unless you deliver them outside of class and off school grounds. Even then kids talk so I always invite all the kids.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would not be upset but it is against our school policy to do this. If you ask at school, you have to invite everybody.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I ask why the teacher didn't stop it...she said she really didn't know but she's going to talk to the principal tomorrow. I do know that there was enough invitations for everyone in the classroom.

And, I don't blame her for talking to the principal. I would have pulled that mom aside and told her that she's an adult and NEEDS to set POSITIVE examples for her child and this definitely shows her true character.
    Chloesmom1126

Comment by Chloesmom1126 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I completely agree with you. I think that was very rude, and I would say something. Why did the teacher let her do it in the first place? If you know children at all, you would know that some feelings would be hurt.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'd probably be mad for a while, and then help my kid understand that proximity isn't the same as friendship, and that some people are born stupid and can't be fixed.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:06 PM on Jan. 5, 2011