is it bad if it took a long time to find my babys heart beat?

i went to my first dr appt today and when they used the little thing to find the heart beat it took them a long time to find it. He finally did but is it bad that it took so long ? He says im 12 weeks and 6 days. I heard that if you are overweight it would be hard to find but im not. I have a little baby bumb but i've always been skinny. And when he was pressing the thing on my stomach the nurse said the baby was kicking at the little thing i couldnt feel it so is that bad too ?

mommy2be0611

Asked by mommy2be0611 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Nope it is not bad. My doctor will not even start looking until about 14 weeks. She said it can be too frustrating and stressing on the Mommy when it is not found. The baby is just nestled in their and so tiny at this stage.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• As long as their is a heartbeat then you are fine. It's just smaller and sometimes takes more time to find it is all.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• The baby is so tiny it's moving all around and it's hard to pinpoint esp if it's newer nurse.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• When we should have been hearing my daughter they couldn't find her becuase she was behind my pelvic bone. It's fine if it took them awhile to find it, and if they know baby is kicking at it that's a good thing.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 8:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thank you so much .. i was just afraid something was wrong .. once he did find it though it was strong and fast. i just didnt know if it mattered that it took so long
    mommy2be0611

Comment by mommy2be0611 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yes
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 9:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No he was just hiding :) Im 30wks and when I was 25 it took them a min to find him, he was being stubborn. lol. No it isn't bad you can't feel him kick, he is still small.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't worry it could just be positon of baby as long a it was a strong heartbeat you should be all set, plus it there was cause for concern you doctor probably would of said something.
    cassiemomof4

Answer by cassiemomof4 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No it's not bad. It would only be bad if you didn't find it at all. And it won't be too long before you feel some kicks. Babies don't like that thing and try to avoid it all the time. My uterus is retroverted (tips to the back) and my OB said that makes it hard to find a heartbeat too. As long as it was there and you heard it, baby is fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2011