Circumcision...

I am soon to be the mother of a little boy. I already have 2 girls and am researching whether or not to have this procedure done on my son. I'd like to hear accounts from mothers who have uncircumcised sons their experience. I want to make the best and most informed choice. I now all the "pros" and "cons" of both sides but I am very curious what the real life experience is like. Thanks.

rhonda111787

Asked by rhonda111787 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do not feel routine infant circumcision is right. After much research I learned that it is simply a cosmetic procedure, OR a religious ritual, I also learned that your baby is strapped to a table, awake and feels ever cut.. My husband is circumcised and at first thought I Was crazy, but I showed him my research and he quickly agreed and said absolutely no way our son would go through anything like that if there was no health or hygiene reason behind it.

Our son is 30 months intact, and we are so happy we left him the way he was made, we felt he was perfect the minute we saw him and would never have changed anything about him. He has never had a problem. There is no special care, we clean what is seen, we never retract the forskin as it is attached.. and we make sure his pediatrician knows not to retract him also. leave him alone, clean what is seen, never pull it back, and you will be so happy you left your son perfect!
    JUFINOMA

Answer by JUFINOMA at 9:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ugh you just need to go back from what ever rock you crawled out from BEAST

I did it for my son but mainly for cleanness reasons. I've read if the boy/man doesnt clean under the skin it can get infected. I just can't picture young boys or even teenagers cleaning under that skin. I grew up with all men around me and they aren't the cleanest mammals around.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree to ask every man you know.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We didn't have our son done. He's almost 10 and has had ZERO issues with it
    We figured if he wants it done as a teen,we'll have it done then,when he can be under general anethesia!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My brother was not circumcised and ended up with an infection during his teens. What's weird is that he has always been one of the most clean people I've ever known, and still this happened! He ended up getting circumcised then and he wished it was just taken care of when he was a baby - it's more complicated and risky to cut a grown person than a baby since the anatomy has grown/changed. He was pretty mad at our parents who chose not to cirumcise him because of cultural reasons, but then again he was a teen who had to deal with painful and embarrasing penis issues... of course he's gonna be pissed at the world. :)

Congrats on the new baby!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have 4 uncircumcised sons. My husband is circumsized. After researching medical benefits, dh and I found no convincing medical benefits and felt that cosmetic surgy on an infant was not only wrong but also dangerous. I don't feel that I have the right to remove a part of my child's body without his or her permission. When they get older and if they decide that they want it done we will help them with the cost. As far as care, its been no hassle at all. As far as them not "looking" like daddy, our 6 yr old was the only one that has asked and we told him the truth. That daddy was circumcised as a baby and that circumcision is where they cut off the extra skin, and that we chose not too have our boys circumcised.... his response was his eyes got really big and he said "I don't want anyone to cut my penis" ..... We had to laugh and explain that no one was going to do anything to his penis.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm from europe, and we don't circumsise routinely.

There are no medical benefits from circumcision. It's only done in america to be 'routine', and 'normal'...... Medically there's no reason for it at all.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have an uncirc 2 year old and am glad I didn't do it. I asked like 10 of my grown men friends on their opinions. The only negative reasons I received was "It looks weird." The 2 uncirc men said not to do it, that it made no difference in their lives. I was already leaning toward not doing it but wanted opinions, too. I would suggest asking men in your life, as well. There is no medical reason that it should be done. It is just as clean as a circ penis. Sure you have to actually clean it regularly, just like every other body part.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Are you married? I would ask your husband what his opinion is.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My son and my husband are both intact and neither has ever had any sort of problem whatsoever. I do know a man who decided as an older teen to have it done and he's sorry. He says he doesn't have the same sensations.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2011