911

At what age did you teach your children about 911? How did you explain to them when and how to use it?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is not really an answer to your question but I'm a 911 dispatcher and I bet we get 2-3 calls a week of ppl who accidentally call b/c they were teaching their kids to call 911. The police have to go even if it's not an emergency in our city. So I'm sure the kids aren't thinking, whoa, this really works! lol
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Wait what's the number to 911??

I think 6 or 7 is a good age to teach them. My brother taught my niece when she was 4 and now shes 5 and she will just dial it for the dumbest things.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• As soon as they were able to understand and I wrote our address on the fridge in case they ever needed it (when they were younger). In a panic it's easy to forget small things.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• They were 4...What we explained was different situation like; if somebody goes in the house that is not supposed to be there; if mommy or daddy get sick and fall down...If one of us are bleeding....And yes we did dial the number by accident when teaching them..lol
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I am not sure what age is good. Probably when they can read and tell the dispatcher our address and name. So like worriedmommy said. I know my 1 year old has called 911 twice by accident due to my emergency lock on my phone. It was so embarrassing.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We taught and are teaching ours at age 4, but they also know it is for emergencies only , and we would only call if we needed help. so far none of mine have called 911.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2011