Diarreha in a three year old

My 3 year old son has had diarreha for 2 weeks that was purely liquid all day yesterday, we took him to the ER last night and we were told just to give him pedialyte and it would run its course. We were told we could give him children's pepto bismol and to make an appt with his ped Friday. It is scaring me because he has NO other symptoms what so ever. The ER Dr. said he thought it was a virus but shouldn't it have other symptoms. Has anyone else had this happen to them please help

XandersMomma07

Asked by XandersMomma07 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son just went through this. Do as the doctor says and he'll be fine. My boy is all cure now and it lasted about 2 weeks as well. Keep up the liquids.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know it is scary and frustrating to see your baby like that but just make sure that he does not get dehydrated. Hope he feels better!!

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes. Both my kids got this virus...my husband too. It didn't affect my son and DH as bad as my daughter... started with a day and a half of some vomiting, followed by diarhea....we're going on day 6. I took her to the Dr on Monday who said that EVERYONE is getting this virus and it can take 1-2 weeks to run its course. The biggest concern is dehydration, so make sure he drinks lots of liquids. One way to tell if he is dehydrated is to look at his tongue. When the Dr. told my daughter to say "ahhhh" so he could look in her mouth he pointed it out to me, her tongue was very wet and said no problem. I thought these things were 24 hours so I was very concerned too, but the doctor said it just has to run its course. Like your son, my kids had no other symptoms, they've been running around like maniacs like nothing is going on at all...until they run to the bathroom...then right back out as if they are fine. Crazy! GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• diet related. do an elimination diet of the major trigger foods and see if it clears up. Stop all dairy first. Loose stools is a sign of lactose intolerance
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• just wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered he is doing fine now
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011