Going back to work after 10 years as SAHM. I have a 13 and 10 yrs old...suggestions on what to do during summer vacation with my girls

I want to know if there are any suggestions to help me try to find my kids somewhere safe and fun to be during the school summer vacation. i am starting back to work full time after being a SAHM for 10 years. the problem I can see is that with a 13 year old girl, getting a "babysitter" would not go over well. She is academically smart, but she can be emotionally immature at times and I do not think having her stay home all day with her sister alone, is a safe or good idea. HELP! I am going back to work due to financial issues and hence cannot afford all the camps that they would love to attend. Maybe after working a bit, that would change, but i am just not sure! Thanks for listening and in advance, thanks for your words of wisdom!

kaybecca

Asked by kaybecca at 10:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe talk to Moms from school.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Also, we stayed home and did chores, then our reward was that our Aunt would come and take us to the pool a couple days/week and our Mom would pick us up from there after work.. Not sure if that would work, but it's an idea.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know you said your finances are tight but still check out some camps....many times they offer scholarships. Maybe you'd qualify! Good luck.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• is it possible to try camp maybe one week and then seeing if there are any friends or other moms that stay home who would be interested in helping you. Also I know in my town we have a summer camp that is a little less expensive then most camps. Maybe if you have family around you could leave them for a little while and then have someone check in on them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Look at the day camps at the YMCA. They usually have scholarships available and you could also have the girls go part-time, just a couple of days a week.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Absolutely the YMCA programs, as well as the Community Ed programs - check out what they have to offer!

I do find it a little frightening that you state that she's immature herself but yet she babysits other people's children. You might want to look at that. But I think it's very wise not to leave a young person this age in charge of watching the younger sibling all summer long, very good thinking!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I suggest that you keep them busy. Sign them up on a swim team, gymnastics, volunteer work, tennis, golf, or something that they would enjoy and learn from. I have two sons, 14 and 9. I get nervous leaving them alone by themsleves sometimes. I have for small amounts of time. I am lucky and I work just a few blocks from my house and I always get to home for lunch to check on them. I have them text me regularly and sometimes my sister or my dad will "unexpectedly" stop by to check on them. I have thought about hiding cameras in my house to what really goes on after I leave.....Do we really want to know? I'm not sure what the line is for invading their privacy.
    kelc78

Answer by kelc78 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Overnight camp; volunteer work, babysitting (find a Red Cross certification program).

Honestly, we both stopped working full time when our daughter turned 12; this is the age when they really need a parent around. We have home based businesses, with enough flexibility to parent a teen.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011