• In the Spotlight:

Were you ever a believer and then lost your Faith? Why did you let go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• A long time ago I was. I lost it because so many prayers went unanswered. And maybe a little because of the people in the church I attended. I let go because it was the logical thing to do at the time. It was time to start taking more control of the things in my life because if I didn't, things weren't going to change. Happier now than I've ever been. I know I made the right decision for me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• to be honest im confused.. i dont know what to believe!! i always wonder if there is a god.. i have prayed but now i dont. im stuck between a rock and a hard place with my life. if there is a god y would he put anyone through what im goin through.. i have a 15 month old daughter and a son due any day. i lost my job and their father lost his!!! i tried so hard to find one and i couldnt. now im stuck not working till jan. im not even with their father. i dont live on my own. i dont have a car i have anything! Every time i think i find a decent man, i just end up screwed. therefore making me not know what to believe!
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I was raised in a very strict Catholic home. My parents then divorced, and my mother immediately re-married. I was only 8 years old, but I knew that in the Catholic church you couldn't divorce and re-marry, but my mom did and still attended church. Because of all the moving, re-marrying, and a new church, I never received my first communion, therefore wasn't a "member" of the church. My parents then stopped going for several years. During this time my step-father had become seriously ill. We then started attending a Christian church (I'm not sure of the denomination).

...........CONTINUED........
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• ......CONTIUNED.......

My step-father then pass away, and almost two years to the day his son committed suicide. I lost all faith then. How could "God" allow this to happen. I started learning more about science (which I had also already started leaning towards) and evolution and since have been atheist. I will go to church with family if they ask, but I just sit back quietly and "pretend".
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i was raised southern baptist and was never allowed to question that. when i got away from my family and was free to think about things on my own i had a lot of questions that i know couldn't be answered. also there are holes in the bible and parts that just don't make any sense at all. like the whole thing of not believing in magick yet in the bible, the blind and lame were healed, water turned into whine, the burning bush thing, and oh oh the whole thing of the guy raising from the dead three days later, yet were aren't supposed to believe in magick???? also the person above her post says a lot as well. how can an all loving all merciful god let horrible horrible things happen? i also don't like the idea that my life is predetermined. just too much bs for me.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 6:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think sterlids answer hits it on the head for a lot of us. I too was brought up southern baptist, very strict except for my great grandmother. But you didn't question the bible and you didn't question your preacher. And when bad things happen it is gods will. I got tired of not having a say or any control in my life. It never ever brought me peace or even comfort. My Great Grandmother who was a Blackfoot indian would watch me play and watch me communicate with nature. She let me know between the two of us that it was ok to talk with the Great Mother, now I call her Goddess, Great Mother, Earth.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I did about 11 years ago when I watched my big bro die of cancer. I thought if there is a God how can he do this to me and my family. Why does he take good people and make them suffer with such horrible things. I have since regained my faith in God and belive again. I accepted that all things happen for a reason and though I don't have the answers now I will someday. It was a awful feeling to loose faith and not anything I ever want to go through again.I think when I had my first child that prooved to me that with all the heart break in life there is also true gifts in life and I can't look at my kids everyday and not think that a higher power then me had something to do with it.I thank God for all the blessings in my life and accept the tradgedys.Even my bros death gave someone else the gift of sight with his eyes.That to me is beutiful.
    andrea515

Answer by andrea515 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• andrea i accept your beliefs and respect them but from my point of view my child has nothing to do with god. its all science. and even more for me since i had to take clomid to get prego. all science.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I was raised Catholic but the only reason I went was because I had no choice. I believe in God but I have never gotten anything out of religion so when I got old enough t make my own decisions I stopped going.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I've never lost a loved one. I've never been ill. I have a good life, good job, wonderful family. In other words, I cannot associate my lost faith with any event in my life. I lost my faith quietly and resolutely as I became more educated. In fact, I never think of "faith" or "God" at all ... except when asked in a forum like this.
    PurdueMom

Answer by PurdueMom at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2008