Does anyone have Sleep Apnea??...what are you trying to help your symptoms.

I have been using a C-pac...this darn thing is driving me crazy. I feel as if wind from a tornado is blowin' up my nose. Not to mention I look like Hannibal Lector with this attachment on my face. LOL If you use one long did it take to get adjusted to it...if ever?? I couln't sleep before, now I have to wear this thing. Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem. LOL

Asked by MommasCooCoo at 9:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• I have sleep apnea. It took a long while to get use to the mask. One thing I remember when I was shown the machine is that the level of pressure has to be set at a certian number, depending on what machine you have, and if that is set wrong there could be too much air coming out, you may need to lower that level of pressure. I have found at nights that I will wake up and have taken the mask off without even noticing. I have been on it for about a year, still can't tell if it makes a difference, I am not totally sleeping through the night, but I do have other issues that may interfere with sleep. Try to check out the pressure level, see if that makes a difference, I had to get past the hannibal lecter thing too and so did my kids. LOL

Answer by rsmo at 1:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My husband has it... and it took him a bit to get used to it. Check with your sleep-doc and see if perhaps a different mask might work better for you. And? I'm not recommending husband's aunt has to take a Tyenol PM to be able to relax enough to use the machine. I'm kinda against that as I think one should do everything they can to figure it out first before resorting to drugs..

Answer by sariqd at 11:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• A friend of mine's brother just passed away from sleep apnea due to using meds to help him sleep, and it was doctor ordered. My husband just went through the sleep study a couple of weeks ago and caught an anxiety attack after he fell asleep with the cpap on. We are waiting for the full report in order to get his machine. The tech told him that his oxygen went down to 60 while sleeping.....can't wait for the cpap and hopefully I will get some sleep instead of waking him all night to take a breath! Good luck to you!

Answer by mummyshe at 12:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My chiropractor was just telling me the other day that he is treating someone with sleep apnea. I never would have guessed that chiropractic medicine would be used for such a thing but he explained it to me.

Answer by nicarue824 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I also have sleep apnea. I do use the full face mask and feel like Darth Vader while I wear it. Just as you do, I feel as if I have a hurricane in my mask and mouth. The pressure is so much that it causes me to have chipmunk cheeks while I try to sleep. When the mask leaks air, is when the mask is the most annoying.

I have had anxiety attacks related to the C-pap and have had my Zoloft increased to help me with the anxiety. I also have Clonazepam scheduled at bedtime to help with anxiety, sleep, and to limit my movements. Since I have been pregnant I can no longer take the clonazepam which most certainly helped with my symptoms. I you are not pregnant, I highly suggest asking for Clonazepam.

It has taken me about a year to adjust to the C-pap and being able to tolerate wearing it all night long. There are periods where I still cannot handle it and I throw my mask off in the middle of my sleep.

There is no good answer, my physician

Answer by girlneffy at 4:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008