Has anyone ever had an umbilical hernia? Were you scared?

I just found out I have a 4 inch hernia. They say it will eventually have to come out. It hurts and I look pregnant. They won't do anything for some reason. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Health

• My BIL had one. He had to have surgery to fix it. He said the surgery was minor and didn't hurt too bad. His doctors kept blowing him off, but it was uncomfortable and finally he got them to agree to fix it.

When my youngest was born he had one too. His ped said that umbilical hernias are not dangerous like groin hernias are.

Just keep bugging your doc until they listen to you about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My husband has is post op check up tomorrow from having his done. He was really scared too, but decided to just have the surgery and he's so glad he did. He was in constant pain and now he's doing a lot better. I say just do it! GL!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My oldest son had one as a baby. It corrected itself in time.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 11:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well one thing that may make you feel better is an elastic band around your middle or a girdle.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011