Smoking while pregnant

Im 5 weeks pregnant, and im trying to quite smoking. Just found out today that im pregnant. I quite with my first child but it took 2 months. So i wasnt actually done smoking untill month 3. I want to quite sooner with this baby, because it makes me feel guilty. I dont smoke in the house, and i dont smoke near my baby. Im not here to be bashed on. Im just here asking for some advice to quit smoking sooner to help my unborn child.
Do any of you have any suggestions?
With my first child, i was told by my doctor that the baby is addicted at 4 weeks, and to quit slowly. So i did. But i have moved, and have a new doctor. I want to know if its okay to just stop? Like tomorrow i wake up, and i dont smoke. Agian.
Will it hurt the baby?
I seriously need answers, please dont bash me, or yell at me. Im here because i want to quit.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I smoked my entire pregnancy. I know its better to quit but it was really hard and my Dr said that they withdraw from NOT smoking could actually effect the baby too. Just cut back for now.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I've always heard to quit slowly.. Kuddos to you for even trying to quit! A lot of people just keep right on.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My doctor told me that i needed to quit slowly because i was such a regular smoker. That the withdrawals i may have will effect the baby and that s/he will have the withdrawals as well. I decided I was just going to quit cold turkey. I did, and i didnt have any withdrawals.

(my sisters dr told her the same thing and she quit by like 3 months i think. but slowly.)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i woke up one day and just stopped smoking.. try it if u feel u can do it.. i smoked b4 my daughter the sec i found out i was preg that was the last time i put one to my face until she was done breast feeding. Im now pregnant for a 2nd time and the same as the 1st i just stopped... if u cant stop smoking for ur kid what else r u NOT willing to do.. u need to put the baby 1st.. and as for u sayin u dont smoke around ur baby.... think about the one thats in you.. Ur making that one smoke.. thats not fair!
    Anonymous

• You seriously need to quick because it affects the development of their little lungs. It is a known fact that the child could have breathing related issues at birth if you smoke. I know it's hard, but it can be done. I have cold turkeyed various meds throughout my life. YOU CAN DO IT!
    Anonymous

• I went from a pack to less than a pack and baby was fine. Smoke doesnt effect the baby as much as ppl think unless you are a chainsmoker. Dont worry just do it gradually and at the pace that makes you most comfortable
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I asked not to be bashed lol. As i said before, im here BECAUSE I WANT TO QUIT!!! I was just seeing if anyone had suggestions. Thank you guys!!!
    Anonymous

• Babies do not "breathe" inutero so dont get all bent out of shape. The only thing you have to worry about is premature labor and that only happens if you chainsmoke and neglect your body
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think it depends on how much it stresses you out to quit. If you're able to do it for the sake of the baby and not have it be too hard on you, then I would cold-turkey it. If your withdrawals are making you crazy, slow it down...but still try to quit all together soon!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My doc said it was better to smoke less then have the stress of quiting cold turkey, cause the stress caun make your miscary and it's more of a risk than developmental issues.
    Anonymous