How do I get my family to start treating my fiance's daughter more like their granddaughter & not like an outcast?

She is 9 & every Christmas my "blood kids" get way more stuff than she does & I can tell that she feels left out. I don't think they are being very fair to her. Her father did some not so heartfelt things to me & I think that may be the reason they are acting like this, but him & I worked them out & I think everyone else needs to just let it go also because it wasn't her fault ya know?

perty_kity

Asked by perty_kity at 11:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would talk with them and let them know how you feel. My oldest's grandmother is great. Even though her son was an ass to me at times she has always treated all my children the same. I understand that your family wants to protect you, although they shouldn't take it out on a child and if you and SO are working things out and are staying together then his child is a part of your family.

To me a family isn't always about blood believe me because I have a totally mixed family. My kids have 4 grand mothers and 3 grand fathers, my mom and dad are still together, my HD parents are disvorced and his father is remarried and my oldest child is from a previous relationship and even with all these difference all of my children are treated the same and receive the same from everyone.

So I guess my point is just because you had problems in the past doesn't mean they should treat her differently, it wasn't her fault! Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• people just stink.... kids should not fall subject to adult BS
    I dont know the ans but I"ll give you a bump
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• you just have to be patient and in time they will come around and treat her like family. ou cant make people feel what they do not feel for someone. its sad to say but true. As long as you love her thats all that matters. any adult should never make a child feel left out, whether its their blood or not. we are all gods children. god bless you and your family..

www.mypartycelebration.com
    josie726

Answer by josie726 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• 1st rule....if you said anything to them about the problems your having or what he's done to you to hurt you, you may forgive him, but it doesn't mean they have or ever will.
    2nd rule....she isn't their grandchild....it's your fiance's daughter you may or may not be around all the time...so it's just as weird for them as it is for her.
    3rd rule....if you have to "make" things work/click between your s/o, his family and your family...then there's something off.
    JIMO
    Anonymous