Do you believe in demonic possession?

If not, what do you think is going on with the cases of people who are supposedly possessed? Is it an act? Mental illness?

I'm not sure exactly what I believe, but I find the idea both terrifying and interesting.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I definitely believe in demonic possession. I also think that it is very important that a trained professional be consulted. A priest that specializes in exorcism has knowledge about mental illness and can differentiate between an actual demonic possession and a mental illness. It's not something that is taken lightly. I have had friends that have experienced it and the stories they tell are horrifying.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, I do believe it is real. Belief in the existence of demon possession does not mean that that a person rejects the reality of mental illness. Both are very real, very much separate in nature, and require very different.....treatment (for lack of a better term)....from the other.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. I wonder why we don't hear of more of it.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I do believe there's something to it. Unless the person, like you say, has a mental illness. We have a customer who comes to pharmacy who is diagnosed schizoprenic (spelling?) and multiple personality disorder and sometimes she seems possessed. It's scary, because you don't know what she's capable of doing! It's really very tragic!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I suspect mostly mental illness or very good acting. Psychology was so little understood up to just the past century, and there is much left to be diagnosed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i believe its possible, and i don't think its all smoke & mirrors or Hollywood-ish. there are things going on we as humans may never understand, and because of that, we are quick to dismiss them as 'acts for attention', or 'mental disorders', which can be the case individually with anything. but to dismiss the possibility of possession is the beginning of ignorance. anything is possible.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure what is really going on, but I don't believe in demons, so can't believe in possessions. It probably is psychological in nature. Owen Chadwick does well to talk about how the idea of demons came about (in his History of Christianity). He talks about how people with epilepsy were often thought to be possessed, and how it is apparently something incorporated through Greek influence...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, it is very real. The Bible even speaks of Jesus driving out demons from a possessed man. Sadly, the enemy's greatest trick is convincing people he's not real. He is, and while I don't like to give him any credit, he does wreck havoc.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes I do there are several examples in the bible and Jesus did say go cast out demons.
    one of the examples is the demoniac man the one with Legions, he was tormented day and night, bound in chains and Jesus came to him and the demons KNOWING who Jesus is begged to go to the pigs and they did and the next verse you will read that the man that was delivered was in his right might. So that tells me a lot right there that a lot of the mental illnesses are demonic related.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• jewjewbee I HAVE seen it recently and have known it is real. A speaker at my school who was a former witch could tell you stories that would send chills through you! I have heard of some of them and I can tell you demons are NOT something you want to mess with unless the Lord has given you authority to do so. We as Christians have the authority to drive down the lower level demons any time but we need to be given the authority as we mature to drive out the higher level ones. If you do not have that authority you will be attacked by them because they KNOW what amount of authority you have. Many Christians do not realize what they already have and do not even use it and demons know this too and use it to their advantage! That is why we have so many down and out Christians !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2011