Anyone know someone or had a son or daughter that attended one of the military academys ?

My son is a freshman this year and is in Air Force JRROTC and is looking to maybe attend either the Air Force Academy or the Marine academy. If you know someone who attened how did they like it ? He is planning a military carrer and his father and I think it would be good for him to go to college first and take Rotc and join as an officer he get very good grades and is in the color and honor gaurd. He is gonna check out both web sites and decied if this is something he would be interested in and then talk to a school counsler to help prepare for next years classes. Any advice would be very helpful

abellvalerie

Asked by abellvalerie at 6:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• This lady i knew had a son that was OUT OF CONTROL!. (im not saying that is what they are for but it was just his situation) anyway, she sent him to an academy and he straightened up! he had manners was kind, helpful, finished school(he had dropped out) got a job when he came home. It was the best thing that had ever happened to him. he did a complete 180.

h is now IN the army.
    Anonymous

• Well this is not a military school that anyone can attened there are very hard enterance requirments itis military college. They have to have good grades and show leadership vollenteer in their community get a letter of recomandation for their state rep or the Vp or some other person I can't remember so if your a trouble maker they will not take you so I don't think this is the same thing but thank you for the advice :)
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I tried to apply to get in, but was not super serious. Not only that, but the teacher I had asked to write my recommendation letter (someone who had retired after 20 years) never did :(

Anyways, I also knew a girl who went to the AF Academy, but I do not know how her experience went and I believe she is still there. Let me send an email to my step-mom. She'd know more.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 6:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My husband attended West Point and thoroughly enjoyed his experience there. It's almost twenty years later and he still keeps in contact with friends he met there. College is a big step for anyone, but military college is unique and not to be taken lightly. If your son is planning a military career, I would encourage him to continue his Jr. ROTC program and his inquiries into the acadamies. The more information he has the better decision he can make for his future.

We also have a dear friend with a son who will graduate from the naval academy in May, and he has had a wonderful experience as well. I hope this helps. Good luck, and God bless.
    22hockeymom22

Answer by 22hockeymom22 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My husbands three best friends are all graduates of the Naval Academy. (this is where Marines go too btw) They all loved the entire experience and wouldn't change a thing. The college you choose is a very important decision. You have to pick a school that meshes well with your interests. Someone who wants to be a Lawer usually wouldn't attend a liberal arts college..right. It's just a matter of where he sees himself. It's a good sign that he is looking at this already as a freshman. It will serve him well. Good Luck to you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I asked my Step-mom about this and here is what she said:

**** loves it. She's been really pushed to the limit, tho. It's very very difficult. Very academically demanding.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 10:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2008