I had abnormal quad screen results- specifically for neural tube defects

I am 20 weeks pregnant with a baby boy who seemed to be perfectly healthy. He is measuring where he should and his brain is developing as it should. I had a quad screen a few weeks ago and received my results today. The results show that I am high risk for having a baby with neural tube defects- specifically spinal bifida. I am very concerned. My baby boy also has cysts on his kidneys. My OB is sending me to a perinatologist to get a more extensive ultrasound and we can go from there. I was offered an amniocentesis, but my husband and I decided not to do it. The benefits dont seem to outweigh the risk and we are going to have this baby no matter what. I would really like to know if anyone else has had this kind of result and went on to have a healthy baby.

MegFouq

Asked by MegFouq at 12:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My test results said the same thing when I was pregnant with my son. However, there was nothing about cysts on his kidney. But when the tests came back positive for neural tube defects, I was sent to a genetic counselor and a had all those extensive ultrasounds. They never found ANYTHING and my son was born 100% perfectly healthy. It was a very scary few weeks but I felt a lot better after the first extensivw ultrasound when they found nothing. They continued to do them, and I was labled "high risk" the rest of my pregnancy, and did a lot of Non-Stress Tests (NSTs) the last few weeks of my pregnancy but nothing ever went wrong. I later learned that false positives in those tests are more common than accurate postives. Nice huh? But there is a very good chance your baby is perfectly healthy!! Good luck, I know how scary it can be to be told your baby might have a problem...
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thank you very much for taking the time to tell me this. You've made me feel a whole lot better. I've also read that there are a lot of false positives. I just needed to hear it from someone who actually experienced it. If you don't mind me asking....what kind of ultrasound was it? I don't quite understand the "extensive" part. Thanks again. :)
    MegFouq

Comment by MegFouq (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I was told the same with my first son because of a blood test, the they sent me for a specialist ultrasound, they found nothing and were pushing me to abort. I was very upset, and chose to do an amnio just so I could know what to expect. Turned out I just had a huge healthy baby boy,
    But I also feel you should prepare yourself for any possibilities. I felt the same way, I was keeping the baby, but wanted to know what to prepare myself for incase
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Because of my age(38 when DD was born)and meds I had been on for years(can lead to birth defects) an amnio was done. We were going to have the baby however the test came back, but it gave us peace of mind that she was healthy and if anything showed up we had time to get the nessesary needs at home and time to come to terms with it before she was born.
    Sounds like your boy may be fine, but knowing and not worrying may go a long way for you. And by the way an amnio is done during an ultrasound so they can make sure the needle is nowhere near the baby.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 4:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011