Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Your Opinion

my ex has 20% visition and he's moving this weekend. He is moving into a 961 sq ft two bedroom apartment. In one room will be his parents and in the other him and his girlfriend. So 4 full time adults with others occasionally staying for a few weeks at a time. The girlfriend did drugs but I can't prove she's still doing it...yet. I'm working on that. But when my son stays over he'll be sleeping in the room with my ex and his girlfriend. I'm not looking to take him back to court but if HE took ME back would a judge seriously give him more time with how crowded his house is? Not to mention this is his third move since our 2.5 yr old has been born.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • I would throw a fit and make sure the girlfriend is clean. My 2.5 year old son gets into EVERYTHING and I'll be damned if he stays in a room with a person who could possibly have drugs, or anything that could harm him, in their possesion where there is even a remote chance he could find it.

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • A child, in ANY house, needs his own bed and in some states, requires him to have his own room.

    If he didn't have his own bed, I wouldn't let it fly. Judge or no judge, I wouldn't do it.

    MHO anyways.

    Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Most appt places won't allow him to do that. Me and my fiance have been looking and most say no more then 2 people per bedroom and if you have children who stay the night on a regular basis (even if it is only once a week) they count, so by those standards there are too many people. Also CPS says that a child can sleep in a bedroom with a parent, providing that they have their own bed BUT they cannot sleep in a bedroom with a couple (for obvious reasons) I would contact CPS about this, you don't have to go back to court, they will just check it out and if they find that he can't provide a decent agrangement while he is with him, he will only get short day visits instead.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • u think the gf is doing drugs and you just don't feel like going to court to get your child back in a safe place? wow! mom of the year!

    Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Op here. This is to answer the pp. I would love to go back to court to prevent his gf from having contact from my son BUT my lawyer told me unless she went to jail for her drugs I can't prove anything so the judge wouldnt listen. I am in the process of trying to get her records to see if she has criminal charges.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • I know each state is different, but I think there are laws on children having their own space. Thats not to say they must sleep in their own bedroom, but they must have one. Look into it in your state, I know I would not want my son in that environment. Good luck

    Answer by parajumper3 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • The court will throw out the case if they child doesnt have his own place. Plus you can have so many people under a certain amount of sq footage and rooms. 4 adults a and a child will not fly with any judge in such a small place.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • I had a friend in a similiar situation and they ended up back in court and the father ended up only getting day visits because of the lack of space.

    Answer by KStone516 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with my child sleeping in the same room with an ex and his girlfriend, I would do whatever I could to see it didn't happen.

    Answer by coreym at 10:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.