I just got a piece of lettuce stuck down my throat the other day from my salad. It was a long piece of endive! My 6 yr old son came to my rescue said, "Open your mouth Mommy and I will grab it out!" I got it out using a spoon and pulling it back up ( sorry TMI ) and I said,"See what Mommy gets for not chewing HER food all the way! It unfolded and I didn't properly chew it." He was so sweet wanting to help me!
When HE was 3.5 he swallowed a magnetix ball. A week before a 4 yr old swallowed 2 and they connected and he died. My son came up to me and was gagging and choking. He had one in his hand to show me. I patted his back, it wouldnt come out.....he breathed thru his nose....and he could breath as he swallowed. I gave him a sip of iced tea. Had to go to the ER and make sure it was going into his stomach, not lungs.
He thank GOD was OK...that ER trip scared him since not to EVER put things in his mouth like that.
at 5:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011