Which parenting choices that other mothers make directly affect you?

Some people seem to think the way others parent is their business. I know there are some choices made that affect others, but which instances can you think of in which how someone else chooses to raise their child actually has an impact on you, therefore making it your business?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not my kid, not my business. It doesn't affect me at all. Unless the child is being harmed and/or his/her life is in danger, I'm not making anything my business.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I can't think of any that would affect ME more than it would affect MY kid. For instance, if my son goes to day care or school with another child who is allowed to do certain things, it may have an affect on my child who is around them all day. Things like that.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure how to answer, because I am not sure how you are asking the question.. Do you want a legit answer or is this something to prove a point? LOL! Anyway, I am going to answer honestly.... being an older person, I was raised to see things a little differently than the younger generation does. Having said that, I think what bothers me the most is to see a parent letting a child talk to them so badly in public. I've seen kids swear at their parents, yell at them, even threaten them.. and the parents back down. It's a scary thing. I've seen kids demand that their parents buy them something and the parents do it. So, how does this affect me?? Well, it doesn't I guess.. but it does make my tongue bleed from my teeth clenching. That tends to ruin my day. But, I wouldn't ever say anything to them... It's their life, not mine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I was asking for legit answers...but also pointing out my point of view in a sense, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I understand.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I mean...there are definitely things that I think affect others. I think that if a parent lets their child go to school when sick and contagious, that's someone else's business as well. I also think that non-vaxing has the potential to affect others. Still, I try to mind my own business. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sorry I was raised with a mother who was a firm believer in her kids,nothing mattered including How someone raises there kid. However I do have a problem with moms who have a " diva child" who dose not share , has a stinky attitude , talks to other kids like they better than other kids ...ect and it burns the living daylight out if me when there child is 3 years old!!! I make it my business when my sweet girls are the one tortured by these type of kids and there mom says ; oh she's having a bad day !!! Really at 3 years old ? It makes me livid when these parents don't do anything . I don't expect anyone to beat the crap out there kid if punish the living life out of them. But when your kid is telling my kids get out my face and don't talk to me that's an impact cause there's no Way that behavior shouldn't be nipped in the butt. Thanks for letting me share but this just rolls my marbles lol
    MommySprikles

Answer by MommySprikles at 12:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• That goes for dads, too, not just moms, but I agree, its none of my business I stay out of it. Sometimes I use what I see to learn from and apply it to my own methods (or not if it was bad). Sometimes I'll use what someone else is doing as an example to my own kids and point out how things in their life aren't as bad as they think and could be alot worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We are pointing out the bad. how about pointing out the good. Everyone is always so focused on the negative. how about that children that plays with your child and helps them read or shares with them ect. i mean there could be good things other parents too that affect us also. we all interact with each other unless you live under a rock so we are affect by each other. so why not point out the good.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I try to mind my own business as well, especially on inconsequential topics, but really, you have to look at the big picture...in a sense, the state of the modern American family and the manner in which children are being parented affects ALL of us because it is shaping our entire society and culture. I am not going to get on a soapbox about it this morning, but I think it's okay to be concerned about the future generations and not just our own children.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011