how to handle a one year old who hits

She is almost like a bully to younger babies especially if I'm holding them.she will shake and scream and hit whenever she gets mad. What should I do?is it too young to discipline?

MamaAllen09

Asked by MamaAllen09 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 20mnth old i tell her to "stop" or "no" and make sure you the same tone everytime and the same facial expression so she understands what you mean and my 20mnth old wouldnt hit her sister who is much smaller than her she would hit the older kids or adults so when i told her stop or no sometimes she wouldnt listen so i would walk her to the corner and say you want time out?and she would look at me and have her "im sorry" face on :) ppl may say she is too young to understand but i think if she understands how to hit she understands she cant hit the baby :) GOOD LUCK
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No it's not too young to discipline, but you have to really be careful when you use time outs and things like that because if you do it too often they stop caring. When my son hit I would stop him, grab his hand, make him look me in the face and say "No! You don't hit!" and do it everytime I saw him hit. If I had to do that repeatedly within short amount of time, then it was time out. It took a while, but he's 2.5 now and doesn't hit very often anymore..
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thx girls for the advice!
    MamaAllen09

Comment by MamaAllen09 (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Have her attention on something else while you are holding or giving another child attention. Put her in her room with toys and peek around the corner at her and make a game of peek a boo with her. GL

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 8:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My mom was big on saying "Let's not hit", no matter the age. If they hit, teach them not to hit. Grab her hand (gently) if necessary but keep telling her no hitting. I'd even replace the hitting with kisses at her age.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Definably discipline ,she is not too young. I had this problem with my oldest son and his little brother.Put the baby down somewhere safe and address the issue immediately by telling her that that behavior is wrong/hurtful,that you are not happy with what she has done and give her a one minute time out(I put my son in his highchair and set the timer for one minute,no attention can be given to her when she is in timeout).When the timer is done,take her out of time out,re-assure her that you love her(give a hug) but what tell she did was wrong,again. This has helped for me and hopefully it will you too.
    blueoceans

Answer by blueoceans at 9:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• be careful about where she might have learned that behavior..... daycare, another adult , tv. I believe she is too young to discipline in the way you are thinking. Teach her that she needs to wait her turn or share mommy or whatever that causes her to hit
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011