State take over

The city I live in has a bad deficit in the budget like 17 millon dollar deficit, the state of michigan will take over in 3 months if the city counsel and the mayor can't come to a agreement on how they will improve the deficit problem. So what happens when/if that happens??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You shouldn't see much of a difference - it's sort of like declaring a person incompetent and having someone take over their affairs for them. Over time, some services may change (who supplies trash service, for example) if the overseer sees big discrepancies.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• all of the agenies and things run by the mayor and the council will now be run at a state level until the defecit is either fixed on its way.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The state appoints someone to oversee the budget, also I believe the city then qualifies for additional aid. I don't think the citizens notice much of a difference.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No idea but I'm bumping for you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• sorry agencies
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well I do hope then the state does take over. Our mayor is an idoit. I also like the fact is the state will deem what should be kept and what should go. For example, city council and the city cars they can drive, to home and what not, using cells phones paid by our taxes, who knows, maybe we can get a few more police on the street.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011