Should I homeschool my ADD child?

I have a fun loving, happy go lucky, 8 year old boy. We have recently ungone tests for ADD. I was a bit shocked to learrn that his teacher has him sitting alone with his desk facing the wall. He has to turn around to see the board! I am afraid that he will not enjoy school as much if the keep pushing him away from the other students. He does disrupt things a bit due to his outbursts. Sometimes he will tap his desk or whistle or sing while doing his work. He is unaware of this until it is brought to his attention and he will try to stop. I know its not easy for a teacher to handle this with a class full of 8 year olds. Kids are kids. I am sure they all act up a bit. My Frank is no angel. But some of it is not all his fault.
Would he be better off home schooled? He is very bright. He processes things very well. He does have to be reminded of tasks. I don't want to do the med. thing and change the child. I am not sure what to do. Any ideas?

mclewett

Asked by mclewett at 1:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• whoa tell the principal she is a teacher and she knows he has add she SHOULD not have him facing the wall! she is stupid!!! and have him switched to another class i think kids with special needs should interact with other kids your son is 1 a 8yr old and 2 he has add so you cant expect him to be perfect and i wish you could smack that teacher over the head with a book how rude is she! he deserves to be treated like every other kid add or not!!! good luck :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• LOL Premiemom, you sound amost as mad as I feel. He was having to sit by himself at lunch because he was talking when they were told to have silent lunch. Again, these are 8 year olds! I dont want to take him out of public school. But this is not good for him either. Thanks for your comment. Now I know its not just me lol.
    mclewett

Comment by mclewett (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i have a special needs daughter and she went to school the first day and she came home and i never sent her back and im just too over protective and i guess its because no1 will treat your kids the way you do so i mean i would definitely discuss this with the principle if they cant get him in a appropriate class with some respectful teachers with draw him and tell them you will be speaking to the school board about this and there should be a class for special needs kids and there is no reason he should b eatting alone and facing the wall!
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If my child had ADD, I would rather have my child bouncing off the walls @ home where they could be comfortable & learn at their pace without having to be ridicule by a underpaid, irresponsible,mindless teacher. School is not the only atmosphere where a child can make friends but it could become a very painful place. I would have a parent teacher conference and make that teacher sit in the corner looking at the wall and get a taste of their own medicine!!!

honeychicks

Answer by honeychicks at 2:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The only problem with homeschooling is the lack of social interaction and learning how to cope socially with peers and other adult authority figures. (for us anyway)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Get an IEP and get some rules put down, if your child had Special Needs, they need to be addressed, put down in writing and allow special accomodations for your child. Its your legal right and will make the child's experience and everyone else's alot easier to cope with.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I've had some issues with this myself this year - my son is also 8 but is more day-dreamy. But his teacher just didn't seem to get that this wasn't a behavior issue, but a learning issue - even though I talked to her about it at the beginning of the year.

We met with the principal, school social worker & school psychologist & with the teacher. My husband (who is a teacher) & I expressed our concerns about the way this teacher was running her classroom & her seeming complete lack of understanding that a child can be extremely bright & have ADD or ADHD. There has been intervention in her classroom & things seem to be better (though not ideal).

Homeschooling works really well for some people, but not all - especially with the social aspects. I totally understand where you're coming from. We have not put our child on meds as his diagnosis isn't clear cut. & for the reasons you mentioned. This is a hard choice.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Despite what many people looking into the homeschool world might think, school is not the only place to get social interaction or learn cooperation and respect - and from the sound of things your son's current public school experience is not providing any of those things. I would say YES to homeschooling your child. There are lots of ways for him to socialize without being mistreated for hours a day at school. Maybe a scouting group or visiting the boys and girls club or children's activities through a local church (our daughter has joined a music group at a local church and loves it). Also, don't forget that there are lots of homeschooling organizations out there where they kids meet up for social interaction, sometimes for classes, sometimes for fun, and you can talk with other homeschooling moms in your area. I have been a classroom teacher and a homeschool mom - and I know that for us homeschooling is the best choice.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would keep him in school, but this teacher needs to make some changes for a more successful year. Your school psychologist, or your own child psychologist can give boundaries and directions to the teacher to best help your child. Since you have had him evaluated and are working towards a goal for him, the teacher should be better able to handle him without having to ostracize him from his classmates with some input from the psychologist or the doctor.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My husbands co-worker worked with the ped to figure out what foods triggered his DD's 'fits'. Once they figured it out(for her tomatoes were the instigater) the school was told, she stayed away from tomatoes and has been fine without meds. I don't know if this will work for all, but it may help him rejoin the class.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 3:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011