What could cause an 11 yr old to poop in his underwear? adult content

Ok I have an 11 yr old nephew, who has recently started pooping in his pants. took him to the dr to get him checked out and make sure it wasnt a medical reason for it. The dr put him on a prescription laxative to help him have regular bowel movements. This has not helped. He now has regular movements, but he is still pooping in his pants. Is there anything anyone can think of or know of that could cause this to happen. How do we get him to stop? We have started making him clean his underwear out when he does, in hopes to encourage him to make it to the bathroom. Not working, he just gets mad when he has to clean them out. asking questions like why should I clean them out? Um cause YOU pooped in them not me.... sometimes he hides them from us and we dont find them until they are good and stale and sometimes we just have to throw the undies away. We need help..... The worst part is when he poops in his underwear he leaves them on and wont tell anyone. We generally dont find out until he is getting in the shower or we are doing laundry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Has anything happen to him recently( I mean emotionally). Just taking a wild and saying he might need counseling.

nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 2:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• This can happen if there has been a dramatic occurrence. For example, a divorce that affected the child in a huge way, also abuse, etc. could trigger this. If it isn't physical, it is likely emotional/psychological. Did the doctor seem concerned?
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Is this for real

I am sorry because its not meant to be rude but how do you not know until then don't you smell it?!?

If you have taken him to a reg doc maybe something else is going on emotionally?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• He is about to start counseling again. His parents divorced almost 5 yrs ago. Today was the first time I have ever smelled it when it was still on him. I dont know how he covers up the smell, but he does.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Take him to a counselor. It could be emotional, or just his way of acting out. Talk to him. Ask him why he does it. Tell him you love him, and always counter with love. Also, regular bathroom times. Set it up where he goes every couple of hours. Also, figure out what he was doing immediately before he pooped his pant. He may not know what's going on either. As soon as you can, get him to a counselor.

Good luck!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 4:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011