WYR Have a female or male ob/gyn?

Why or why not? Btw I'm 100 % female ob/gyn.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 2:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in

• female. Male ob/gyn makes me uncomfortable
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 2:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't really care. I want a good doc. I have had crappy ones and great ones of each sex.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have a woman and thats what I prefer because all the reading and studing in the world Isn't going to truly let you know what its like to have cycles, carry babies etc..... IMO anyway
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Gender is of little importance to me. I've had good and bad doctors of both genders. I worked with a female doctor who would do a pap in under a minute! Patients would always walk out of her exam room with an expression that read, "What just happened in there!??" I really don't think gender makes a difference. It's kind of like saying you can't be a good oncologist if you've never had cancer. Plus, when you're examining someone, it is SO not a sexual thing. You're seriously just looking for pink healthy tissue.
    I'm studying to be a midwife and a nurse practitioner, so I say midwife any day! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My male OB/GYN is fantastic, couldn't ask for a better doctor. When I was pregnant, I ended up in the ER and one of his partners was there, a woman. She was horrible. I don't think it has anything to do with gender, it has everything to do with the person.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just because it's a woman, doesn't mean she's a good doctor. I would check creditionals on any. I made a mistake of choosing the only woman ob-gyn in my area. She cut into my bladder while removing during my hysterectomy. I later had a nurse friend tell me that she had recently botched several surgeries. I learned my lesson.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• female i freak out when i have a male doctor for some reason..
    Sweet_Pea09

Answer by Sweet_Pea09 at 2:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• musicpisces I can see your point and I am not saying there are not good male OB/GYN but I just think a woman gets it if she has been through it. =D
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• SweetLoveofMine LMAO! Sorry but Beavis and Butthead! Love it!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have a female doctor.....I just find mine more caring. Heck, my doctor is like 10 yrs younger than I am, married to her HS love...has a awesome repoire with her patients. Young and old...very thorough. 

She always says to me how I make her laugh and make HER relax.....and says,"I love ya, stay sweet...see you in 3 months". 

I drive over an hour just to see her in another county when she got her own practice.......she is worth that drive! 

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2011