I have a 20 year old son, who is not a 'bad' kid per say; but very hard headed...he thinks he knows everything...it's like he doesn't value anything I say and he's never wrong. I'm always there for him, but the last person he will listen to. He's very bull headed and arrogant.

victor1940

Asked by victor1940 at 4:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Sure he doesn't have Aspergers? Sounds like my sons
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Start by talking to him when you feel he is being inconsiderate of you. Let him know how you feel and why. Remind him that you treat him respectfully and that you expect the same in return. If he is still living in your home, set boundaries. If he lives in your home, he lives by your rules.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Also, understand that he is in a new phase in his life and may be feeling the need for some freedom and control. He is a young adult who thinks he has the world by the tail and he will get past this. When he becomes a parent, he will understand all that you went through for him and he will respect you more for it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• NORMAL.
    My lmost 21 yr old is still in the "IM a man.." phase while still wanting to be like a kid when it comes to most responsibility issues,... he wants all the adult freedoms without the work for it parts,LOL.-He drives me a bit crazy at times but he isnt super stubborn, he just wants equal standing while still under my roof and me paying the bills but he is learning to be more responsible or to not have things an dI keep reminding him regardless of anything else as long as he is under my roof, he is gonna be respectful even when not agreeing with me.--Some kids phasing into adulthood are way easier adn some are alot tougher, you just have to stand your ground about house rules, respect,......
    When my son thought he was big enough to be equal to me and try to boss me, he found himself walking to work in the cold and waling home again, he learned he isnt my parent or equal as adult.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 5:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sounds like a typical 20 year old...girl or boy. lol.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• And your question is??
    Sorry, but this is normal. Children start pulling away and becoming independent of their parents and that's the way it should be.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• So? He's 20 and at that age we ALL thought we knew everything and didn't listen to our parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Stop always "being there for him." Repeat after me, "that was your decision" "what are you going to do about it" "I thought you were a grown-up?" and my personal favorite, "this conversation is over."
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sounds like one of my sons.
    bertie4

Answer by bertie4 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have the same issue with my 23 year old. He doesn't live with me but doesn't take any advice. He says he is miserable and cannot find work and is tired of being broke.... well duh! I gave him all the options and get so sick of hearing. " that won't work" or "I did that". Ugh!
    LisaAnn069

Answer by LisaAnn069 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 17, 2011