Using a USED breast pump

I read that it isn't safe because they can harbor germs and bacteria, and that it is illegal to sell them, but the hospital rental I have broke. I have my SIL's 8 year old Pump in Style that she barely used and I am using it to get the milk out (son never learned to latch, and won't, so don't tell me to breastfeed him), but do you think it is safe to give to my son?

Looking at the pump, I don't get why it is any more dangerous than a hospital one. Also, my SIL is a clean upstanding woman so I doubt there are any viruses/bacteria on the thing that could harm a baby (ya never know) but after 8 years wouldn't any diseases be long dead on it?

I hate to throw out the milk and give him formula until I can get back to the hospital to exchange pumps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• i used a used pump when i broke mine once. as long as you clean and disinfect it i dont see a problem. i bought new tubing.
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 5:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It broke in the middle of the night... I can't get new tubing. Had to use it with her old tubing, which looks brand new btw. She only used the machine two or three times.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If she hasn't used it in 8 years I'm not so sure the bacteria is still alive. If it were me, I'd wash it with hot, soapy water and hope for the best. Really though, you should look into buying new silicone/plastic parts and keeping the motor (main part of the system).

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 6:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't throw any breast milk out, she hasn't used it in so long, the bacteria shouldn't be there any more. I might be tempted to freeze it before I give it to him first tho. Just a thought.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have never heard that it is illegal to sell them. If that is the case, how can a hospital legally rent them out. The tubing and funnels get replaced. The machine itself does not come in contact with breast milk.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• @salexander - they only rent the machine part. The tubing, etc - anything that comes into contact with your body/milk is what's illegal to sell, and gross to share. The pump itself is expensive and rentable but each mother is responsible for their own plastic parts. WIC rents/lends them out too - same scenario though, get the plastics from the hospitla when baby's born, use the pump then return it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2011