at what age should kids beable to walk home from school?

the school is 4 blocks away

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 5:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in

• Nowadays? I agree with the first answer. If it is a girl, even older than 16, like NEVER! LOL. Too many crazies out there. If they have a buddy with them walking to your door, then maybe middle school age. But never alone. Personally, I don't think it worth the risk if a kid doesn't have to walk alone. If there is no other option, then at least when they are old enough to fight an adult off, and are smart enough to be alert and use common sense. Maybe back in the day, it would have been fine when they were younger, but the world is a different place now, sadly.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• when they are big enough to fend off an adult on their own...so maybe 16+
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• This is a tough question. My kids started walking home from school in the 4th grade, as long as there was a group of them. On days when they would be walking by themselves I would pick them up. In 4th grade they didn't walk except for maybe a handful of times, some thing in 5th grade.

In 6th grade my middle child hated taking the bus so he walked everyday that is was nice. Now that the weather is colder I pick him up. I understand the fear that something might happen and I would never want my child walking home alone, although I think as they get older they like the freedom, indepenance and responsiblity it gives them.

Lastly, my youngest child would walk him with the group of older kids so while she was in 1st grade I still let her walk every once in a while. Usually I would pick her up and let the older ones walk though.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• With it being four blocks away I would say no younger then 10.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• my son kept asking me to let him walk home from school. he is 9. and i always say no. he hates me bc his friends get to walk home and some are much younger then him. i feel like im graduating from mean mommy school but i just fear for his safety. plus if im home to get him way would i allow him to walk.
    JOR_HAIL

Comment by JOR_HAIL (original poster) at 5:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• "back in the day", it was safe to walk to/from school when I was in 2nd grade, but NOW? No way!!

And yes my answer was based on having teenaged sons, for girls, unless they know how to fight, then I'd want them to at least walk with a friend or 3.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would say 4th or 5th grade, as long as they were walking with a group of friends.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would say 6th grade. It also depends on the area you live in.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• OMG I do not even know. I think never. I do not trust these nuts today. I was watching a show and the girl was 16 got pulled in a car and found not alive. I get so scared. If they have to, a group and all stay together. I would tell your son never go off by yourself.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My answer to this question is that it depends on the age and individual maturity of the child and also the distance between home and school. I'm lucky in that sense as I live across the street from my kids school. I allow the 11 year old to go by himself, the 7 year old also goes by herself but I watch her going and the 5 year old I then take over. At home time the 7 and 5 year old don't actually get let out until a parent is there to collect them as that is school policy. My 11 year old always comes home alone if my partner is there, if not I make sure my son knows to wait for me outside the front of school. I know he has the maturity and sense to do what is requested of him.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2011