I thought this was a profound thing for my 22YO to say

He went into the Army recently, toured Europe. It was his first time away from home and on his own.

When he got home and out of the military he said, "Now, I feel like I'm really on my own. There's a different feeling between being on your own in the military where your life and schedule is still pretty much spelled out for you and being a civilian again without any support or anyone telling you what you're to do next. Its a very freeing feeling I didn't realize until I had no one telling me what to do, where to sleep, what to eat, etc."

I dunno, it just made him seem so grown up and mature. Even as a soldier he didn't talk like that, but he makes a good point. At 1st he was free of his parents, but still had everyone controlling his life, but now for the 1st time was is truly free to make his own way and decisions.

Thats all. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like a very upstanding, young man, OP. Its nice to see a young person be capable of independence (and a man at that) who can take care of himself and not be all helpless in terms of laundry, cooking, etc. Thats awesome, well done.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Good for him! You must be a proud Momma!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's great that he realizes he's truly on his own now!! Sounds like a good guy :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I like that thought...
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 7:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I feel old lol. I'm 23, two kids, been married 4 1/2 years, and I've been living on my own since I was 18 and graduated high school at semester to get the fump OUT of my mom's house. I moved out THE DAY I finished school and got a full time job. Been a full fledged adult ever since.

This idea of being only a year younger than me and only just now feeling like your own man is crazy!

But it's awsome that he's getting it all together and growing up. I bet that was a bittersweet realization for you!

You raised a good kid (and I feel entitled to call him that for some very strange reason lol). Good job!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• its always nice to think that you raised a great kid. Someone who is able to do it on his own.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You did a great job mom :)
    :( They grow up so fast...sniff
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• That's really great that he has realized that. Not many people his age do even after being on their own before or after the military. He seems like a very mature, smart, and capable kid. Good job!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2011