Is it the Food Safety Bill From Hell?

S.510 - FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show

Senate Bill S 510 Food Safety Modernization Act vote imminent: Would outlaw gardening and saving seeds
http://www.naturalnews.com/030418_Food_Safety_Modernization_Act_seeds.html

S. 510: 12 Reasons Why the Food Safety Bill From Hell Could Be Very Dangerous for the U.S. Economy
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep/food-safety-bill-dangerous-for-economy.html

Bill Text111th Congress (2009-2010)S.510.ES
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:3:./temp/~c111w38mOT::

S510 has the potential to change the U.S. food industry more than any other law ever passed by the U.S. Congress. In the name of "food safety", the U.S. government would be given an iron grip over the production, transportation and sale of all food in the United States.

This bill is now obsolete. It's text has been added as a substitute amendment to H.R.2751

So now; Is it the Food Safety amendment From Hell?

goodwitch399

Asked by goodwitch399 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't ignore the personal garden issue. The big issue is that the bill is designed to favor large corp farms and further hurt small farmers.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Home gardeners are going to be ok under this bill; but this is truly the bill from hell. It has the potential to seriously cripple the small farmer, and adds a whole new layer of government enforcement that isn't needed. "Food Safety" isn't the issue here, it's about control and trying to increase revenues. It's sickening.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am so sick of these friggin power grabs.Yes it's 'from hell'..someone told me years back that this would come.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I know that WE are aware of this bill, because WE pay attention to politics, but what about the MILLIONS of other Americans out there, who do NOT pay attention...where has the local and national media been on this topic?! I haven't seen nary a word about it!!

I hope the bill DOES in fact protect home-growers, because if this bill goes through it may be the ONLY way we can afford to eat healthy!! Ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The liberals response was that they thought regulations against salmonella was a good idea. Duh......

It does NOTHING in that regard.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think regardless of which side you lean on politicically, we can all agree that we like to have the freedom to grow things. I %100 believe that we'll always be allowed to grow our own vegetables. I don't know one person in America, right or left, who thinks it's a good idea to implement this law of not being able to grow our own stuff & save seeds. People would freak out left & right & there would be an uproar. If there is anything that could bring the parties together for a brief moment, i think this could be it. Which is why i don't think it would ever happen. The people's voices are strong when divided, but even more strong when united.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Have you signed that bill yet to stop it. This is an outrage for all of us that garden at home not to mention the people who have an income from the farmers market.I wonder what the government is thinking. I know Michelle Obama isn't behind this she thinks gardening is great for food production and health. What an outrage!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have tried to discuss this issue a few times before. The liberals response was that they thought regulations against salmonella was a good idea. Duh.......all I can say is that when it affects California organic growers and small markets HOORAY. They like Obama.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Doesn't ness have to be taken away but we could end up having to get licensed just to grow a damn garden...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Remember that term "unintended consequences"? Yeppers...look for that here.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2011