what is it?

what is this I dont know how to even describe it.. like dry or calloused skin behind the ears. What is that? is that normal? I found it a week ago and i took extra care to wash there and keep an eye on it... but Really now.. what is it? should i do more? is it bad?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's completely normal, and don't worry - it's not eczema :). It's just something little ones get sometimes! My doctor just said that the area behind their ears is sensitive and can get "chapped" and dry easily. My suggestion is when you're bathing your little one, use a very warm wash cloth with baby shampoo and wipe it off as much as you can. Then after the bath, rub some vaseline on it. This is what helped my son's get better. Good luck!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• it could be a form of dandruff, it could be some sort of fungal infection. i would talk to ur dr about it see if there is anything u can do to get rid of it. u could also try putting lotion on it to see if that helps.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• i think it's eczema, my son has it. it's dry and he scratches it. try hydrocortizone cream on it and it should clear up.
    jersprincess

Answer by jersprincess at 5:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My son has it too. I think washing too much makes it worse.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My son had it too, keep it clean and dry, if it doesn't go away in a few days use a cream that doesnt have dyes or fragrances added, lotion wil dry the skin out more, so be sure to use cream.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It's normal - my little girl gets that too. It's sort of like cradle cap, only behind the ears! You can get rid of it the same way - just don't try to scrub it all off in one go. That will just irritate his skin.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2008