Should it be news?

I know - celebrity gossip has a huge following, if there wasn't a demand for it they wouldn't print it. That said, the details of Elizabeth Edwards' will have been all over the news this morning. AFAIC, gossip about John Edwards and what he was or was not left or assigned, does not outweigh the privacy of their children, who are inexorably tied into all this "juicy gossip" about the will. (and really, the same should apply to any famous death - details of Michael Jackson's will relating to his kids shouldn't have been public either, imo).

Is there any good reason to violate the privacy of minors in the name of dishing dirt on their parents?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well in regards to Elizabeth Edwards, I do think had her husband not had that scandal, then we never would have heard about her or her illness and subsequent passing. Had John been faithful (or gotten away with it) he never would have made the news the way he did, which brought to light his wife's condition to the public. MHO
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think that it's horribly sad the details of her life (and their life together) have been spread all over the news. I feel bad for her children. This is not the public's "right to know," its just curiosity. Pathetic.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Respect for the innocent has become a thing of the past. John Edwards made a horrible mess of his life and that of his family. His children just lost their mother but it is still a free for all.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The news about Elizaeth Edwrads cancer had been known ad discussed for years before the facts about his affair was made public. The Edwards family was news for at least a decade if you were keeping up with current political discussions....he was a famous politician in North Carolina. Elizabeth's cancer was well know. BUT,I really don't think her Will should be public knowledge.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No, the details of her last will and testament should be private for those that are named in the will. It's none of our business what the details of her last wishes are. I didn't realize that Michael Jackson's will was made public either. I guess I just don't care enough to check that stuff out. It's sad that a bunch of busy bodies are waiting for the juicy details of how her belongings will be divided among her loved ones (or not so loved ones as the case may be).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think most of the media have no morals.

They report the "news" so get sponsorships and increase thier profit margins not inform the people.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I do not think such private matters should be in the news. A private matter should stay a private matter.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When my father died and his will was made public it was all over the news. My father was a very wealthy man two former Presidents were at his funeral he had helped both in their campaign efforts in our home state. We knew to not watch the news when he died and after his will was read because we knew how the media would sensationalize everything. I am sure you guys are far more upset about the will being released than the kids are right now. They are mourning the loss of their mother and are not watching the news. These are kids who have been in the public eye since birth and have been raised to avoid watching the news and to take the comments from random strangers with a grain of salt. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm just hoping the kids aren't paying attention at that age. I know I wasn't. and yes, it's wrong.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Respect for the innocent has become a thing of the past.

Yes, indeed. Look at reality Tv and the # of parents who have sold their kids' special moments, private lives and anonymity (good, bad and ugly) to the public in exchange for quick cash and attention...and the Tv viewers have eaten it up, for the most part.

EE was front and center and involved with a Pres campaign BEFORE her husband's dalliances were revealed, so I'm sure we would have still known about her ongoing health issues, struggles and death...... The public has no need to know about EE's will and final wishes-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2011