Change of Address?

I filed a change of address with the Post Office, but should I also contact the people I pay bills to (credit cards, car loans) as well?

I know, stupid question.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes, because they will keep sending your bills to the old address. Then, the mail carrier will have to send the bills through the forwarding system and that could take awhile to get it squared away. I don't know if you pay all of your bills online, but it would make it so much easier just to let them know, so they can send them right to you, and you won't have to worry about waiting for them, or not receiving them on time.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 8:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes you should.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. Most of your bills will come with a place to note change of address and/or other pertinent information.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, just fill out the change of address slip on the back of your bill before you send it in - or if you pay online, go ahead and send it in if you still get a paper bill without a check so they can process the change of address. If you rely on the post office to take care of it you are likely not going to get your mail on time.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, because the change of address at the post office is ONLY for the post office. That only lasts for a few weeks, then they just send out the letter to wherever it is addressed. You have to contact everyone who you need to change your address with and change it with them personally.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. The change of address card for the post office is only so they know where to forward your mail. You must contact everyone else also with your change of address. Bills, Magazines, friends and family, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• YES. The COA form with the PO isn't a forever thing - it only lasts a certain amount of time and expires, so after that time, anything that goes to the old address gets tossed or returned to sender (depending what class it is - magazines, etc, get tossed). DH is a USPS employee and our postmaster was just sayign something this morning when I was there about COA's expiring but I didn't catch how soon they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. Especially the important places like the DMV- we moved twice in 2 years (out of state) for job purposes- Our car regs have been in limbo- it was a nightmare- we ended up paying a lost tags fee for 1 car because the tags went to a previous address and were basically lost- Funny the state received the COA for 3 of the cars, but not the fourth-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yeah how else will they know
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011