Im scared..

This is my second child, and before with my first i got toxima and had an emergancy c section. I hated it! But im scared to deliver naturally as well. Im scared of giving childbirth, and although i know its not that bad because ive had a c section before, im scared to do it agian.
:(
Any advice?

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 6:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Learn everything you can. I researched childbirth as if I was preparing for an unassisted home birth, even though I knew I would be going to a hospital. Knowing exactly what was happening to my body and why kept me much more calm through the whole thing.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Have you taken any Prenatal Classes? We took them before I had my first and that helped me know what to expect during delivery...to an extent =) They explain all the monitors, IV's, drugs...everything and answer any questions you have. That's what I'd suggest.
    cbx3mom

Answer by cbx3mom at 6:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thank you guys so much, i did take a prenatal class, but it was in a small town, and only about 4 1 hour classes. I think ill enroll in another one!!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have had two c-secs so far and will have another in dec. It doesnt go away sorry. I was scared half to death when it came close with my second and would have nightmares. And I am now starting to have them with this one because it is getting close. I hope if you are able to you have a VBAC i cant and would have loved to.

But like the PP said research all your options and talk to your dr. about everything they will know how to explain something you dont understand or just any questions you have. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Anonymous

• Take one day at a time. It is completely natural to feel anxious about such a huge event. I was scared senseless and when my water broke I started crying that I wasn't ready yet (even though I had taken every prenatal class I possibly could). I don't think anyone is ever truly ready. I couldn't imagine how scary it must have been for you to have an emergency c section but find comfort that you handle that crisis and will be able to handle any crisis that comes your way. I think experience is the best educator and you already know what to expect. Keep the faith, think positive and take each event one at a time. Don't drown yourself in what might happen. Take care of yourself, eat well and learn some different methods of relaxation so when your anxiety kicks in you can counteract it. Good Luck!
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with SamanthaAgain. Knowledge is power. Even though some of the information can be scary and overwhelming, it makes it easier.
    Also, knowing how to help your labor progress and what your rights are help. Don't let yourself be pushed around by a doctor who has a schedule to keep. Have someone with you that knows your wishes and will back you up 100%. Toxemia doesn't always occur in another pregnancy. I would research your options and everything.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I had a c-section with my first and had a successful VBAC with my second. I was scared, but I did my research and decided that the less than 1% risk was worth not having my stomach cut open again. I was in labor for 23 hours and pushed for 3 hours and it was worth every agonizing minute. Yeah, childbirth is painful, but if you are all for the drugs, then get them. My drugs didn't work due to my Spina Bifida. My C-section was an experience that I swore I would never endure again. That's why I did my research and found a doctor that supported VBACs. Visit www.vbac.com for a lot of information on VBACS.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I had a secetion with my first for the same reason. It was the scaries moment of my life and becuz they worried about getting him out quickly i wasnt completly numb when they started cutting. So this time im going to try for a vbac now i know that i could still end up with a c section and that always has to be known but i like the idea of being able to have alittle bit of contole this time. good luck and look into your resourses. Not all doctors will do vbacs so you wana make sure yours will if you choose to go that way.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008