How do i get my daughter to sleep at night?

my DD is almost 12 weeks, she sleeps great during the day, 3-5 hour stretches, but at night is up for an hour or two and only sleeps 2 hours max.... she falls asleep while i'm trying to play with her during the day... our sleep schedules are opposite!! i need some ideas!

AudlyLuvly

Asked by AudlyLuvly at 6:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son has slept through the night since he was about 3 months! i had this problem and i just had to keep him up as much as i could during the day and play with him alot closer to bed time! and try to teach her the difference in night and day! you go to sleep when its dark and play during light!!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 7:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Have a set in stone bedtime routine around the time you're hoping she will go down for the night. A bath, lotion, story, and kisses works for us. Always do this, even if you know she won't go down. After that, make clear differences in night and day. Night time should be dark, quiet, and calm. Avoid playing if she will let you, or just play calm games. Daytime should be bright, with lots of noise and games. She will get it eventually.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my doc said she will even her own schedule out so for me (my DD had her days and nights mixed up) i became nocturnal and forwent visitors if i was sleeping because thats the most important thing. soon enough though she regulated herself and now goes to bed about 9 or 10 and sleeps till around 8-8:30! good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i feel for you. the sleeping through the night is a process for most babies with good times and bad. when my daughter was a baby, i bought this baby motor thing you attached to the crib mattress box springs. it made the crib vibrate. it worked great and we even burned out the motor. i'm not sure if you can buy them anymore, this was 14 years ago.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 6:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I nurse my baby to sleep and she sleeps with us. She has been sleeping through the night since she came home from the NICU. Try nursing to sleep and sleeping with your baby. Dotto on the bright and noisy during the day. Play lots of games.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• go to www.walmart.com and check out the "tender vibes vibrating mattress". it's a crib mattress that vibrates. i found the vibrating mattress to be a life-saver.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 7:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• stick her in the bed with you
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 7:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with samanthaagain... That is what i had to do to my son and within a wk he was sleeping threw the night... bath, Lotion, read or sing, then a little rocking then bed... and i let him put him self to sleep... and he usually (USUALLY) goes right to sleep...but its always worth a try... also the bedtime bath lotion and wash work the best!!!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 8:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• others have prob said the same thing, but i hate reading all the msgs so if im being repetitive just ignore it. lol.
    you have got to switch her sched around. force her to stay awake. make her day chock full of act. i know shes only 3 mon old, but i had to do this too. and we sometimes get really comfortable with not having to deal with a new baby, because they sleep all day. if she does falls asleep wake her up after 1 hour, and get her invovled in somethign else. in another month i would strongly suggest putting a tbsp of ceral in her bottle. cut a tiny x in the nipple. she needs something substantial in her diet by this time so that shell sleep through the night for you. every doctor in the world will advise you against it, but every grammy in the world will wonder what took you so long. lol
    windowgirl

Answer by windowgirl at 8:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2008