Should a child that is not feeling well be brought to the babysitter or kept at home?

Tuesday this three year old little boy shows up and he is not himself. After nap time he just laid on the hard wood floor. I told his parents and they said they knew. Wednesday he stayed home and went to the doctors with a sinus infection. His mother is sick, too - but went to work on Thursday because she had missed so much work the week before. The father yelled at me when I suggested that he just didn't want to be at the babysitters - he wanted to be home. He told me that he had to work and that his mother was already watching the child on Friday because I had requested the day off to visit with my father-in-law that was having bypass surgery on Monday in NC. Mind you, I have not requested any days off for over a year and a half except one week of vacation. In my contract it says that I don't keep sick kids. I have bent over backwards for this family - they work for the government and I they have a back up sitter. Wouldn't the best plan for the child be to get his rest and stay home? The father is taking off at the end of the month for some fraternity event. Should I be angry that parents don't set their children as their top priority?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• If this were a daycare center, they would not allow him to be in school. Do you babysit other kids? Has he had a fever? Its a tough call sometimes...kids colds can last 7-10 days, sometimes longer, you can't keep them home for the whole thing. I think the general rule is that a child can not return until 24 hours has passed since his last fever, vomitting or diarrhea. GL.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You have a point and yes I would be angry...but they should continue to stay home with their child if they are sick why bring in a baby who is sick to the babysitters and make everyone else sick...ugh I hated that I used to babysit too some were smart about it and some would do what these people are doing to u and it sucks bc it does say on your contract that u do not take kids in if they are sick.
    If I were you I would remind them of this...if not let them go then they will have to go to a daycare and pay more and miss more days of work why should you be any different, GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Obviously that little boy should have been kept home but based on the father's reaction, you're not going to change these parents. I know how hard it can be to balance work & a sick child - I've been there. But my husband & I always managed it, making sure our son was our first priority.

I notice the father didn't say anything about him having taken time off to take care of his son. Is he one of those dads who considers watching his own child "babysitting"?

You sound like a really kind & caring babysitter - they're lucky!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ask the babysitter. I babysit sometimes & they always ask me if i'm willing to babysit a sick kid. Sometimes i say yes, but if i have my DD with me..i say no.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The child should have been kept home. :( I think, from the big picture here, your main concern should be their disrespect for you. This goes beyond one day of whether or not the child was feeling up to being there. I would not keep a client on that yelled at me over that or one that thought they owned my schedule to the point of complaining about watching their own child if I had something to do. Give them a reminder of your sick and vacation policy and if they don't accept it nicely let them go.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• IMHO if the kid is sick he/she should stay home. . . why spread germs needlessly. I too feel it was out of line for the father to yell at you as you said. Parents need to step it up and take care of their own kids more. I understand work, I really do. . .but I have encountered too much "your kids don't matter" from many people and in the work place. I get "you" think work is top priority, but your kids are TOP priority and if they are sick you need to do what needs to be done to get them well. ya know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• This is such a catch 22 while I understand and agree with you not taking sick children. I understand the parents not being able take anymore time off. In the end you have to look out for your business if you keep taking in sick children that may and will make other children sick and those kids stay home then you will lose money. I think you should stick to your not sick kids policy there are daycare that will take sick kids maybe that should look into that.
    1221mom

Answer by 1221mom at 9:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thank you so much. This kid, I feel bad for him, really. He has come in so dirty sometimes that I have bathed him. Several times, in fact. They are parents in the sense that they've had a child, but I don't see that they have made him their TOP priority...I don't feel they are abusive or neglectful...and I've watched him since he was six months old - but I just had to blow off some steam because I just felt he was miserable and he just wanted to be HOME! He, being here, I don't think he was contagious - but personally, I think its VERY hard to tell. He would have been miserable and put everyone else in a mood. Sigh - I wish there were more parents out there like all of you that CARE. I keep things pretty germ free - we passed a stomach bug around in 2008, because of him. But other than that - they have not had to miss any work because their child has gotten sick here because of me.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Your child comes first...

One they should have told you about it, if my kid has a common cold I tell who ever is watching them and make them aware. It is sad, and as for the dad having the fraternity party, he needs to worry about his son and forget the party...

Very sad situation. 1221mom, yes and definitly get a sick policy, put it in writing and have each parent sign.... If the child can not function during the day, has a fever, etc. You can NOT take them to day care, because of the other childrens health...

This is not personal it is business, i would hate to see a child laying on the floor sick while children are healthy and playing. You can not be fired from your job, because your child is sick.... It is the law!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You should be angry that they have so little respect for you and the contract they signed. You should be angry that they put other children at risk by leaving their sick child with your own and any others you care for. It isn't really fair to say they don't put their child first...they are trying to provide for him (whether you or I would do the same thing or not).
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2011