If you think

Huck Finn should be censored, do you also think it is fair to say that every song, rap, book where that word appears should also be censored? It is not like the word slave conjures up warm fuzzy thoughts. It is also an insulting concept. I think that book, can be used to teach children about racism. This we should teach...not how to sweep bad things under the rug like they never happened. I think if we cover things up, then kids cannot learn how to grow and make better choices for our future. The holocaust was despicable and there are many graphic photos and words surrounding that time. No one is trying to sweep that under the rug.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I currently live in Memphis, and there was a bit on the news last night where they talked to several black students and professors and politicians. Every single one of them felt the book should be left alone because the n-word meant something then and means something now and taking it away takes away part of their history and teaches nothing. I agree.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My point is, if that word is so offensive in a book written so long ago, then censor the word across the board. Can you imagine what this would do to about 90% of the rap songs out there?
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am back and forth on this one. As a former lit major, I hate censorship or changing anything in the novel. However, it is just one edition, and since this book has been banned in so many schools due to that word, I feel like making this edition available so jr high and high schoolers can read it is a good thing. They are not changing the social commentary or satire that makes up the book, they are changing one word that has prevented many kids from reading it in school. There are still many ways that the book gets it's point across...it doesn't all hang on that one word. As far as "banning" the n-word, that is a little overdone since this is merely ONE edition of the book, it's not like "they" (who are "they" lol) banned the word from all books and the English language. If you remember reading the books there is a lot more in there than just the one word.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think that word should keep schools from letting kids read it. I think if the teacher is worth their salt, they will let the kids know before hand that the word is there...why it is there...and how we are supposed to learn from that and make the world a better place. This goes hand in hand with censorship of the Pledge, Constitution, or any other thing containing a potentially offensive words or language. We learn from past "mistakes" and some are not even mistakes, they are just a sign of the times we lived in. I get so sick of people coming to this country because it is supposedly the greatest...then trying to change everything once they get here.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think we should leave things the way they are. Leave "under God" in the pledge just the same as leaving "the N word" in whatever historic works it shows up in. Why? Because it shows us how far we've come as a nation and as a people when we look back on why those things were the way they were and why they're not so now.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think that word should keep schools from letting kids read it.
    _________________________
    I agree completely. However that is the fact of the matter. It is the 4th most banned book in schools. Many schools aren't teaching it anymore...just because of that word. That is idiotic, but with this edition there is a chance that more kids will read it...and that is a good thing.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think we should leave things the way they are. Leave "under God" in the pledge just the same as leaving "the N word" in whatever historic works it shows up in.
    _________________________
    Actually, that is not true. "Under God" was not in the original pledge. To keep it original they should take it out.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Actually stacy I know that and that's why I said it. We changed it in the 50s to try and be exclusive, it's part of our history and if we look back on it now it shows us how far we've come.

Thanks for the down vote by the way, I guess I should be ashamed of myself for not wanting to whitewash history.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I just read an interesting comment on a news link that I would like to share.

"I heard on the Nat'l news last night someone tweeted the following: If you take the N word out of Huck Finn then you should also take the Holocaust out of Diary of Anne Frank and Adultery out of The Scarlett Letter."

I believe that about sums it up.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 11:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• AND the N word out of anything it appears in. Books, MUSIC etc.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011