unemployment or welfare assistance OR both ????

I just moved to a new state (OHIO) . Rented a nice house, Found out i'm pregnant with number 2. My almost 3 yr old starts preschool soon. So as you can see this year was going good..... Until my husband got laid off lastnight, him & 5 other of his co-workers. Company i guess is falling apart. NOW what ???? My husband doesnt want me to stress. Yes honey i understand im pregnant, but how am i not supposed too. I may end up in the streets, if we dont find anything soon.

So my QUESTIONS are-
can we apply for unemployment AND welfare assistance, OR we have to pick one.
& Is there any programs you may know of to help with paying rent.
Thanks everyone.

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can apply for both, also there is leap to help with youe electricity bill, & you can also get on wic hope this helps
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• most states you can apply for both BUT i was on unemp less than 200 a week and make 11.64 too much for welfare!!!!! Check what the guidelines are. if you cant get both, welfare will prolly give u more than unemp will
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can apply for both! Good Luck honey!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• you can apply for both! you should take advantage of whatever you can, that's what it's there for, to help you get out of this rough spot. don't feel guilty about it, you have to do what you have to do to put a roof over your family's head and feed them. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Apply for unemployment, and then find out in your state what you can recieve through SS. Here in VA we get cooling/heating assistance, TANF (but u won't be able to get that if u get unemployment), SNAP or food stamps whichever is called in ur state. WIC (HUGE Help!!!), there is also a program here in VA that helps you pay your rent one time, and u have to be purchasing a home, not renting. There's the vouchers program, but that usually takes years to get on ''/

GOODLUCK! cal local shelters and churches, they help w/ rent and utilities as well, most only help if its at risk of being cut off though.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You should be able to apply for both.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• you can apply for both.
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If I were in your shoes I'd apply for both. Both of them take quite a while to go through and there is a lot of paper work to fill out. Plus you don't know how long he's going to be out of work, so you'll want to be prepared for the worst.

I'm sorry that this happened to you guys. I hope he finds another job soon.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can apply for both. Are you working? I would be looking for a job now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Where in OH are you. I am in Toledo, when my DH was laid off we went online and applied for unemployment. I think it was linked through the welfare website. Good luck, but we never even had to leave home to apply or recieve checks, all right online.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2011