Does anyone else find this article very disturbing and kind of scary?

I saw this when I went to Yahoo to check my e-mail and I feel kind of sick thinking about it now lol. There is such a thing as too much techological advancement, IMO.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Going the way of Big Brother ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Books? really? I never thought of books being on the way out. In fact that's the majority of what was under the Christmas tree around here this year! My husband jokes we need our own library and he's right we have books everywhere!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think just myself alone will be able keep books in business... lol I own over 400 now and it just keeps growing.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think it may happen in the future and it is kind of sad. I love books! I received 7 for Christmas and bought 2 more yesterday. I wouldn't venture to guess how many we have. I have quite a few boxes of books in storage. I just bought a Nook for my husband. He took it with him on his deployment. He loves it and can't wait for me to try it.......we'll see. I don't exactly see myself sitting in the tub with one!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just think, when kids don't have to GET up and walk to the library, but rather will sit on their arses and download books (if not games)~ and their parents/teachers encourage it??? THEN~Who will get blamed for the even GROWING obesity problem?....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I love to hold a book while reading. I already miss the newspaper. I buy the Sunday paper just to be able to read the news while smelling the newspaper. I even like the ink on my fingers from the newspaper now.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I guess the work and home seperation thing doesn't bother me so much since my husband's Army and there is no such thing as being off work.

Gnome between me and the hubs I think we're fastly approaching that mark LOL he just ordered about a dozen more from Armyonesource for his board studies and that doesn't include all the textbooks from our various college courses. The kids put together are reaching the 100 mark I think and my eldest is 7 LOL
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Not necessarily disturbing or scary, but a little sad and nostalgic.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We have a ton of books too, but with the invention of the e-readers, books will eventually become obsolete, or nearly so, much in the same way the internet has slowly replaced magazines and newspapers. It will take time, but by the time the babies born in 2011 are adults, it will probably be that way.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Hiding: Not long ago, if you didn't answer your home phone, that was that -- nobody knew if you were alive or dead, much less where you might be. Now your phone is not only in your pocket, it can potentially tell everyone -- including advertisers -- exactly where you are.

This is a scary thought.

The separation of work and home: When you're carrying an email-equipped computer in your pocket, it's not just your friends who can find you -- so can your boss. For kids born this year, the wall between office and home will be blurry indeed.

This is already happening to us. DH works a hourly job yet he gets calls when he is off the clock that he has to take for work.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2011