Any tips for lowering electric bill?

Collegemommy910

Asked by Collegemommy910 at 10:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well everything that the previous post said but I wanna add a thing or two, In winter when it is cold like not freezing I make everyone wear sweatshirts and things like that and we use the fireplace a ton, if you are sitting on the sofa reading or whatever you do grab a blanket. I try and use the heat mainly on an as needed basis, but again with very young kids that may be hard but I have a 14 yearl old!! You can also change power companies to try and lower your rate!! We did and WOW what a difference! Good Luck!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Turn off all lights that don't need to be on, use the natural light during the day. Don't keep things that are off, still plugged in, most people don't think about that one, but although it's turned off and still plugged into an outlet, it's still running electricity!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• turn off lights and tv when you exit a room. Get your dh and kids to do that too. Switch to compact flourescent for as many lights as you can. When buying a new appliance check the energy star rating. Throw in a towel with the clothes you are drying. it cuts down on drying time. in nice weather hang your clothes outside. hmm that`s about all I can think of at the moment.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, use natural light as long as possible. I am a SAHM, so I turn my heat down and bundle up during the day. Like the pp said unplug things your not using such as coffee makers, toasters, fans, etc.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Unplug anything that you are not using (like toaster, coffeemaker) and turn off lights if you don't need them , turn down the thermostat and if you get cold bundle up-- put on a sweatshirt or wrap up in a blanket.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If you have electric heat, lower your thermostat in winter & wear extra clothes instead. If you have a/c, higher your thermostat or turn it off & open the windows. Unplug appliances, computers & other electronics when they are not in use (obviously you can't unplug the refrigerator &/or freezer), as they pull electricity even when they are not turned on; this includes charging stations for cellphones. Switch over to CFL bulbs, which both use less electricity & last longer. Skip the electric dryer & hang dry your clothes. If you must use the dryer, make sure you are doing full loads so as to have less loads. Upgrade your appliances to energy star ones whenever you need to replace something. Open blinds/curtains to bring in both natural light & passive heat from the sun. Run the washer, dryer &/or dishwasher during "off peak" hours b/c rates are lower (call your power company to find out when their off peak hrs are).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My husband and I installed a solar coating on the windows (it cost about $130 for the whole house - 20 windows). It reflects heat, so in the summer it blocks heat from the sun and in the winter it reflects heat back into the house. We also have thermal curtains. We don't use the lights except at night, and minimally. We use CFL and LED lights. We installed high-grade insulating foam around and under doors and windows and insulated hvac cables and ducts, put extra insulation in the attic and insulated behind light switches and outlet covers. We keep the heat at 62 during the day and 55 at night, dressing warm and keeping blankets about. I use a convection oven as often as possible, use the crock pot a lot. We also installed a couple of instant hot water heaters. There are sooo many little things you can do that combine to make quite a difference.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Unplug anything not in use. Talk about a drastic reduction in your bill.

zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2011