Kind of freaked...

Okay I signed up for my town's Biggest Loser competition and I am really freaked about where to start. I know I should start walking and I did but I'm really scared to eat anything because I don't know if I should or not. I've just been eating oatmeal in the morning with nothing in it and salads for lunch with spray ranch and at dinner I eat salad with chicken. I also snack on fruit and veggies at work but I'm about to lose it because I'm still hungry. I'm about 5'8 and people have been telling me I need to eat more because I'm tall. idk. help please. thankies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• well it doesn't matter what your height is... it's your BMI and the amount of calories it takes to lose weight in a healthy way. If you aren't getting enough calories you will gain the weight right back.
    Congrats and good luck!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Go to the food pyramid website. There's a spot where you can input your height & weight, if you want to lose weight & how much, etc. It will tell you how much you need to eat a day to lose the weight you want to lose, and also give you really really good ideas on how to get the servings you need. If you don't eat enough your body will go into "starvation mode" and your metabolism will go way wacky, and no matter what you won't be able to lose. So yeah, you need to eat more to lose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I follow the South Beach Diet, I just started b/c my cardiologist told me that I need to loose weight. So your eating healthy but you need to be able to maintain this eating style to loose weight. If your up to it read the book or go to the website. I also found another really good eating plan in Body for life. Now Bill Philips has a new book out called Transformations. That is the same principal.
    The Protein should be the size of your palm (a deck of cards) the carb should be the size of your fist. You need to eat two or thee healthy snacks in your day. 8 almonds are a good snack, cottage cheese and fruit, celery with peanut butter. Something with protein and good carbs.
    Cut out all sugary sweet drinks, so iced tea is good unsweetened, eliminate all diet type beverages. If you have to have one then counter balance with another glass of water. Low fat dairy is best and lower fat meats.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Start drinking water and eat protein for breakfast. Your breakfast sounds good but add more protein to it. If your hungry eat a whole grain bread with lunch. Eggs are good too. Just eat one or two for a snack. Steam all veggies and remember that good carbs are grown not produced.
    Good luck you need a plan because you don't want to sabotage your self by binging. If I can help any more let me know..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yes, tall people burn more calories just to maintain (sucks for short people, i could eat like an amazon woman & I'm only 5'2")

"doesn't matter what your height is... it's your BMI and the amount of calories it takes to lose weight in a healthy way"

This is very untrue. In order to even calculate your BMI, you need to tell them your height. BMI is calculated by how much you weigh & how tall you are. So, your height really DOES matter. For someone your height, i'd guess that you need to eat at least 1,600 calories a day. Go to Caloriecount.com & start a profile. There, you will be able to add all your foods & they'll count the calories for you & calculate how many vitamins you get a day. It REALLY helps you learn how to eat right! It will also calculate your BMI & suggest how many calories you should be comsuming. It really helps me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thanks everyone for your comments. Very insightful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Anon 11:11 had a really good tip.

And I have to LAUGH at the "taller people burn more calories"....no, they really don't...it's the oldest of the old wives tales. Taller people should weigh more because they have a larger frame (more bone, more muscle) to cover.

Someone 5'1 and 200 lbs is going to look much larger than someone 6' and 200 lbs. BMI is absolutely figured using height, you're right there, but only because of the size difference, not because a taller person burns more calories.

I'm 6' tall....and I have a metabolism that's so small, it can't be found. So I know from experience.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just keep eating healthy foods. Maybe put some fruit in your oatmeal. Morning Star makes great meat free hamburger patties, etc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• eat fiber and whole grains, they keep you full. And drink water. Sometimes if I think I'm hungry, I'll drink a glass or two of water. If I'm still hungry a few minutes later I'll eat a healthy snack. My favorite is air popped popcorn (no butter or salt).
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i would say you need to eat more... but it all depends on how much of these things you are eating... just pay attention to appropriate serving sizes, either finding them on the package or online... then make sure you are getting enough fruits, veggies, and meats every day... you should be off to a good start!
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011