Grease build up in kitchens.

How do I effectively get rid of the grease and grime I already have, and what are some things to prevent it on surfaces?
It seems like I get a build up on just about anything that's hanging around in the kitchen...for example, I have display shelves closer to the oven/stove and they get the worst of it.
Is it just frying foods or what?
AAAH HELP!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 11:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Um, lemon juice and baking soda and vinegar will work wonders. I don't fry anything ever and I don't have a greasy kitchen, so I'd bet that's your problem.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i have to wipe down my surfaces every night or every morning in order to keep them clean and grease free. usually after i wash the dishes, i use the same sponge to wipe everything down. but if that doesnt do the job, i use lysol kitchen cleaner, spray it generously on the spots with the most grease and use a rag. when im done my kitchen is sparkly clean! it is most likely from frying food.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't fry too much & it happens here too. DH hates it though & cleans everything in the kitchen once a week where that crap builds up. If you wipe everything down at least once a week, it will help not build up so much.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't fry anything and I don't have any grease build up anywhere. So I'm guessing that's the problem. I'd use Dawn dish detergent & hot water and a rag to wipe everything down, and either fry less or fry outside on a hotplate or camp stove.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If you are going to fry they actually have a cover so it does not splatter and like the ladies said,

try to wipe down right after the dishes, I don't have too much by the stove because of that. :) Hint, hint... LOL< so now I just do a quick wipe and wala.... :)

Good luck!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• For the build up that's already there I would a kitchen magic eraser, we used this on the house we moved into and it worked great after the mess the renters left. For keeping it away once you have cleaned it, get an exhaust fan installed over your stove and use it each time you fry and try a screen that goes over your skillet.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My husband loves to use 409 after every 'greasy' meal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I like to use amonia and hot water to clean the overhead on my stove. It manages to cut the grease really well. A magic eraser works well too.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• you can use orange glow it will get it out
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 7, 2011