manager and employee have blow out

I worked last night and the crew member was yelling at the manager. She was swearing at him. He was up front helping us with customers,she thought stocking was being done. I was taking care of a customer and the customer says interesting,I told the customer Sorry! The manager told the crew she did not want stocking started yet. He says that I was only trying to give supplies to drive thru because they had no more. Everything got blown out of wack!! If u want my opinion,both of them were wrong,she should not have been swearing and he should not have been yelling. They r both wrong. This is the third time they put this person in charge and something happened!!
It ended with him leaving! I told her u were both unprofessional. U should have went into the breakroom and said whatever u had to say! The manager did not say anything,she just walked away. What do u think? What is your opinion?

dancer

Asked by dancer at 11:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think all arguments or discussions should be held in private, no customer should be subjected to yelling or screaming or profanity, a business loses customers that way. No employees should have been around either, all around it sounds unprofessional.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i think he's not much of a manager to yell at an employee in front of not only customers, but in front of other employees. not professional, and probably won't be in management long.
    and the employee, needs to learn respect..probably hops from job-to-job because ''the manager's don't like me''...hmmm??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree no customer wants to see this and no other employee should have to see it either. I have told managers they have been unprofessional. Being a training store you have to.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Honestly, it makes all of you look bad, if that behaivor continues I would report it.

You should not feel uncomfortable or have to appoligize for there behaivor.....

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It sounds like you work for a Fast Food Chain. That is totally unprofessional. A manager is not allowed to yell at an employee period. I would contact your home office human resources department and report the incident.  There is a new law that they can not attach whistleblowers as well so you will not get in trouble for reporting the issue.

christinato

Answer by christinato at 11:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree. I was in a local Del Taco about a year ago. The manager was yelling at an employee, the employee was yelling back. I placed my order with another employee, who like you was trying to calm the situation, but the 2 wouldn't calm down. Everyone in the dining room could hear all of the yelling. I had ordered my food to eat there, but when it finally came, I asked her to make it to go because I didn't want to eat my food listening to yelling. I didn't eat there again for months, then just before Christmas it was convenient & I stopped in, that same young manager was there yelling at another employee. I left & won't be eating in that restaurant.

Customers should never hear a manager reprimand an employee, that should be done in private & the employee shouldn't be insubordinate to their manager-ever. Anything that needs to be said should be done privately, a customer's meal shouldn't be ruined by unprofessional behavior.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Agree! No one should see staff in an argument... so unprofessional!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Unprofessional, but it sounds like a typical fast food job to me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree taking it to the break room would have been the proper thing to do.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The first rule of management is: Praise in public, criticize in private (it is a good parenting rule, too)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011